New product

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

New product

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Sometimes, even with the vast array of products available to the fly fishing community something comes along that's both pleasing to the eye and functional to our sport. While at Danbury I was making the rounds and came to Mike Hackneys table where he sells his reels and reel kits. I have known Mike for a few years and he has been running a "make it yourself" reel program at the museum, he is always smiling and helpful and is a wizard with machinery, milling fly reel components and constantly tweaking to fill the demands of his delighted customers.

His new endeavor [among other things!] is a silk line dressing. The interesting part for us here at SGM is that the originator of the formula for the dressing is our very own Bob Kern, aka narcodog. He and Mike have teamed up to offer a superior dressing in a tasteful screw lid tin called "Otter Butter". Included is a chamois cloth and instructions. I have already been using Bob's formula for years, and it has long ago replaced the Muclin I used to buy.

If silk is your thing, I encourage you to pick up a can. You can get it directly from Mike or give me a pm and I can direct you to a can myself. CJ

ps...congrats Bob, the finished product is really nice man!
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

mikevalla

Re: New product

Post by mikevalla » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Congrats, Bob---neat stuff! :)
Follow me on Twitter

quadfish

Post by quadfish » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Very nice Bob!! I guess people knew about Mike's wizardry with Machining. I, for one, didn't know you were a chemistry wizard!!

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Nice, will have to check this out...

Ed

EclecticAngler

Post by EclecticAngler » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks catskilljohn, it was great (like always) seeing you in Danbury - and I didn't have to get up at 6am to turn on the coffee pot!

By way of introduction, I'm Michael Hackney, proprietor of Eclectic Angle and now crafter of Otter Butter. When narcodog sent me some of his line dressing to test, I immediately recognized its advantages. It leaves a thiner, harder wax coating on the line, not a tacky coating that picks up dirt and gums up guides. On the water it proved worthy and I knew I had to bring it to market! I wanted the packaging to be useful, simple and not glitzy. I really don't like the plastic snap lid and pressed-on-lid metal containers the other products are packed in so used a screw on lid metal can. The can holds a full 1.5 oz of Otter Butter. You can get more information and purchase it here: Otter Butter here.

(PS - I hope it's ok to post the link to my site. I did read The Rules and there was some wiggle room in that I didn't create this post for shameless self promotion!).

Cheers,
Michael

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:21 am

Michael,

Just ordered three tins. Look forward to using the dressing.

Narcodog, I see you to have been busy in the kitchen ;) It reminds me that it's getting about time for me to make up another batch or two of my head cements.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:15 am

drlogik wrote:It reminds me that it's getting about time for me to make up another batch or two of my head cements.
When you do, let me know...I have been peddling the positive attributes of your product at the shows and the list of hopeful buyers increases every weekend. The salmon fly head cement too! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:34 am

The fly tying world is ripe for some better head cements. Looking forward to more details and availability.

EclecticAngler

Post by EclecticAngler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:45 pm

drlogik, your order went out today. The feedback we've been getting is very positive. I'm really looking forward to hearing what Stuart Tod at Cadno Silk Lines in the UK has to say. He is using OtterButter over his winter fishing.

cheers,
Michael

EclecticAngler

Post by EclecticAngler » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:29 am

Hi folks, it's been about a year now since we introduced Otter Butter and it has been very well received! We now have resellers and fly shops carrying Otter Butter and a new fly shop in the UK is now stocking it too - right in Mucilin's back yard!

I'd like to get Otter Butter into many more angler's vests/creels/pockets so they can experience the benefits so I'm offering a buy 1 get 1 free special until Dec 21.

The feedback has been great - Otter Butter works well on silk lines, of course, but it also works on synthetic lines, furled and tapered leaders, tenkara lines, tippets, and I even use it on dry fly wings. I'm just finishing field testing a new dry fly dressing that has many of the same properties of Otter Butter but in a softer gel for easier application to flies.

Cheers,
Michael