International Fly Tying Symposium, REPORT:

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

International Fly Tying Symposium, REPORT:

Post by mikevalla »

Arrived yesterday, Friday, around 2:00PM. Foxy was busy setting up his massive booth; looks like he brought along the entire shop! The show didn't open until Saturday, but I quickly snapped up a few things as he was hanging materials on his display racks---stuck his first $20.00 in his pocket.

-Stopped by Charlie's (Collins) booth while he also was hanging capes getting his booth ready. Chatted about a half-hour, then moved on the the Patlen brothers booth. Teddy was doing more talking than setting up. Clouser stopped by.

-Meanwhile, wife Val was walking around the show floor with Brooke's newborn baby. Ben and Brooke were busy setting up their Angling Book Store booth, and Val stepped in to help out Brooke with the baby.

-Then came dinner last night (Friday). The Hardy guys treated us at a local French joint---wow, what a treat. Lots of wine and good food. Steve Fernandez (from California), who ties an awesome Catskill Dry Fly, came along and we had a long dinner chat about the west coast tying greats.

-Then back to the hotel. Brandt still had not showed up with Bobby Mead, so we dug into the Newcastle at the bar he special ordered in advance. Massey the hook guy bought round of drinks.....

-More updates later!

Steve, on right, has amazing stories!

The "hook man" drinking Brandt's Newcastle.
Follow me on Twitter

squish67

Re: International Fly Tying Symposium, REPORT:

Post by squish67 »

Wait, I thought this was the International Fly Tying Symposium not the International Shopping, Eating and Drinking Symposium?????? :?

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Mike will ask Fernandez if he received the hooks I sent him several months ago? thanks

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

The show was great today....and will no doubt continue that way on Sunday. Joe and John, our Esopus Ed's best buddies, came by the Author's Booth.
They missed having a beer with Ed...who was AWOL due to a family birthday gathering. No worry, Ed---we still had a good chat!

Our CJ at the Guild table. John was tying up a storm---and although I tried to find them, not a bead head in site!

The fabulous tier Lee Schecter who contributed to the Marbury chapter in The Founding Flies Lee tied a fantastic fly---a pleasure to see my friend Lee!

Our Teddy displayed his enthusiasm at his table. Always a pleasure to chat with the Patlen brothers. Here's Teddy with Lee Schecter

Brandt was behaving himself. Although I did wonder why they stuck his table in the back corner of the showroom floor!
Follow me on Twitter

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Mike V... thank you!! CJ and no beadheads... that's cuz he is a "Catskill Heritage Fly Tier"!!!

How about a pic of Collin's hackle booth?

John

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

wiFlyFisher wrote:How about a pic of Collin's hackle booth?
I don't have a picture of his booth, but I did bring you home a smoky dun hen cape fresh from Charlie's farm. I will ship it Monday Johnny. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

catskilljohn wrote:
wiFlyFisher wrote:How about a pic of Collin's hackle booth?
I don't have a picture of his booth, but I did bring you home a smoky dun hen cape fresh from Charlie's farm. I will ship it Monday Johnny. CJ
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know what I owe you for the cape and shipping charge and I will send you a check right away.

John

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

Had a great time at the show yesterday. It's always fun hangin out with the guys you've developed friendships with over the years. I also met some new guys and re met some guys I didn't recognize at first sight (haha)..

I didn't take many pictures, but I did manage a pretty nice one of "the Boss" Joe and his booth and "staff" while he was embroiled in conversation with the one and only Mike Valla.

Always a good time!!
IntlFlyTyingSymp2013002_zpsbbb3d826.jpg
IntlFlyTyingSymp2013002_zpsbbb3d826.jpg (325.49 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

quadfish wrote:I didn't take many pictures, but I did manage a pretty nice one of "the Boss" Joe and his booth and "staff" while he was embroiled in conversation with the one and only Mike Valla.
-Rick :D
Wow, that is amazing booth! That looks like a ton of Whiting hackle too!

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

I just got back to Roscoe. It was a great weekend. I'll post more tomorrow after my brain starts working again.