How we looking up there?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

How we looking up there?

Post by catskilljohn »

Ed? Joe? We got a steady rain over here all day, but there is no snow so its just heavy runoff going into the Delaware. I see the B-kill is at 1300 and climbing...any reason for concern yet?

As a side note, I noticed they filled the PA side of the canal with water earlier in the week, [its been dry all winter] and probably dumped some rubber trout in there too, as the spinning rod / power bait brigade was out in full force this morning. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

quadfish

Re: How we looking up there?

Post by quadfish »

Don't see you getting any responses from the guys up there, Cj. They are probably out checking on the rivers!! 8-)

Accuweather has Roscoe at 35 deg currently, so I think it's a "slow thaw" at this point good buddy.

I do see the Cooks Falls gauge peaked at about 3600 and it's heading right back down now..

Let's keep our fingers crossed!!! See ya next weekend buddy!!!

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Well...."up there"---"up here" ain't lookin' too good today. The rivers and creeks are at bank-full. And rising.
-But, I'll be out there April 1 at sunrise. Always have, always will.

-I need a break; The "sequel" book is complete and I shipped it off to Stackpole this past Friday---two months ahead of schedule.
Time to fish... :)
Follow me on Twitter

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

the river is high and brown but not choilclate color.. plenty of snow melt..

squish67

Post by squish67 »

The Battenkill is about a foot below bank full, looks like coffee with cream, and there is a hatch of icebergs. Be a good spot for you Tuesday Mike! The tribs are worse.

Oh good news! It just started pouring rain again!!!!! :D

Eperous

Updated scouting report

Post by Eperous »

I can only comment on the eastern Catskills, and Ulster County--- the Esopus Creek system to be very specific. After church this morning, where I said my angling prayers--- you know the one that goes, “… give us this day, our daily limit…”--- I went out looking. It was raw, damp, drizzling, cold, dank and overcast, typical Catskill opening day weather.

First, the good news. We got water and lots of it. It’s flowing down the mountains, all over the roads, rivulets all about in places they shouldn’t be. Anglers should have little problem finding a place to drift a fly, dunk a worm on Tuesday.

Now the bad news; this is a typical end of March I’ve seen many times before. Friday the Esopus at Coldbrook was flowing at 350 cfs and gin clear. Then we got lots of rain last night and there’s still plenty of snow to be found today. The Esopus spiked at about 6,000 cfs with more rain, AND snow and ICE in tonight’s weather forecast. So conditions might get worse before they get better, especially if after all this precip we get warm weather to finish off any remaining snow.

Now for some photos, judge for yourself.

Here’s the Esopus along Coldbrook Road, it looks rather angry, a bit p.o.’ed maybe.
OD1-Esopus Creek along Coldbrook.jpg
OD1-Esopus Creek along Coldbrook.jpg (131.35 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
And here’s the late Ray Smith’s Beaver Kill, a major trib to the Esopus Creek. It appears a bit angry itself.
OD2-Ray Smith's Beaver Kill along 212.jpg
OD2-Ray Smith's Beaver Kill along 212.jpg (140.62 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
And here are a few clearer looking tribs, but up with snow all about. Most of these places I had to use 4x4 to get in and out.
OD3-needed 4x4 along this trib.jpg
OD3-needed 4x4 along this trib.jpg (165.2 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
OD4-another snowy trib.jpg
OD4-another snowy trib.jpg (174.15 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
OD5-more snow.jpg
OD5-more snow.jpg (185.74 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
OD6-not too bad, but cold.jpg
OD6-not too bad, but cold.jpg (184.39 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
And how about this little trib, never seen anything like it. Clear cold water flowing over anchor ice!
OD7-clear flow over anchor ice.JPG
OD7-clear flow over anchor ice.JPG (222.1 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
But in this hollow, looking over this frozen brook trout pond there’s certain mood these mountains give, secret and seductive. One can see it, feel it, and experience it as the clouds ate the peaks!
OD8-the mist ate the peaks.JPG
OD8-the mist ate the peaks.JPG (123.85 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
I know that I said I told my wife I’m not excited about opening day, all that changed today. I can hardly contain myself; I want to get back to familiar places to see how they survived another winter. And I can’t help but think of the movie based upon Chris Van Allsburg book, The Polar Express. Hero Boy, through Tom Hanks’ voice says, “At one time most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I’ve grown old, the bell still rings for me as it does for all who truly believe.” For me, opening day of trout season continues to be all about hearing that bell and responding to its call no matter one’s age or stream and weather conditions; it’s about staying young at heart and getting excited about the simple pleasures in life – a longstanding angling ritual. Catching trout are only part of this pastime we call flyfishing.

And for those who might be interested, the Esopus will NOT be stocked until late April. Just looking at the photos above, even the most casual observer should be able to figure out why.

Let’s get out this Tuesday and have some fun!

Ed

flymank

Post by flymank »

Ed,thanks for posting the photo's as I always look forward to your photographic adventures

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead »

This is certainly that time when I most miss home and home waters. Although I've come to love the Western New York pucker-bush streams, there's nothing quite like a little bit of Catskill water in April. Looking forward to getting down home for Easter. Til then, good luck and a great opener to all you lucky bastards.

Joe Fox

Post by Joe Fox »

It does not look good, but I got a sinking line on and I'm going to out tomorrow for a bit!

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

Joe Fox wrote:It does not look good, but I got a sinking long on and I'm going to out tomorrow for a bit!
I think I know what your trying to say.......... :lol: :roll:
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen