Jerry Bartlett Angling Collection

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Jerry Bartlett Angling Collection

Post by Eperous » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Today the Phoenicia Library celebrated its 20th Anniversary of the Jerry Bartlett Angling Collection... the library only recently relocated back into its Main Street facility which was destroyed by fire in March of 2011... several members of this bulletin board participated in tying trout flies that became part of an electronic "Hatch Matching Chart" that can be viewed on just about all electronic devices with Internet access...

Here's the chart again: http://www.catskillanglingcollection.org/

Jerry was a NYS licensed fishing guide, ardent/respected conservationist, and very active member in Trout Unlimited... people in attendance today spoke fondly of Jerry's memory...

Below are a few photos from the afternoon's activities...

In the Angling Parlor
JBC#1.JPG
JBC#1.JPG (258.91 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Calvin Smith, Ray Smith's 87 year old son telling stories...
JBC#2- Calvin Smith.JPG
JBC#2- Calvin Smith.JPG (278.4 KiB) Viewed 831 times
JBC#3- spellbound.JPG
JBC#3- spellbound.JPG (202.02 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Some attendees,
JBC#4 Roy, CJ, Mark, Judd.JPG
JBC#4 Roy, CJ, Mark, Judd.JPG (242.24 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Shadow boxes of framed flies tied for "hatch matching chart"... sadly, reflected light on the glass...
JBC#5-dry flies.JPG
JBC#5-dry flies.JPG (179.26 KiB) Viewed 831 times
JBC#6-flies that catch trout.JPG
JBC#6-flies that catch trout.JPG (177.22 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Tying at the end...
JBC#7-CJ tying.JPG
JBC#7-CJ tying.JPG (212.8 KiB) Viewed 831 times
It was a fine day for the library, its Angling Collection, and remembering an ardent conservationist...

Ed

nhflytyer

Re: Jerry Bartlett Angling Collection

Post by nhflytyer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:49 pm

I was reading online last night about this. It is great how they reach out to area schools with programs and have a "lend a rod" program. What a great way to help people get into the sport.

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:52 am

Ed,

I wish I could have made it out for the event. Thanks for capturing it with photos and the fine report.

Tim

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:27 am

What a great job those Esopus guys are doing there in Phoenicia...I really enjoyed meeting the folks on the "other side of the mountain"! The room was full of fly fishing luminaries, environmental activists, stream keepers and all around good guys. I was most impressed at the passion of the people there, the deeply rooted love of their home stream and their desire to keep moving forward, to keep the history and tradition alive and for all to enjoy.

The renovation was class "A" throughout...what a beautiful place! They are looking to replace books lost in the fire, and talking to them I found out they have many books in duplicate, it would be nice to start some kind of "trade program" so they could get some titles they need and others could get some they would like. Look for a future post on this soon... I think we could get something rolling on that.

After the event, Ed took me on a little guided tour of the Esopus watershed...stopping at some famous pools and telling stories about them. That was really great :D . His eyes sparkle when reminiscing about his home water!

Here is a shot of downtown Phoenicia...snowing and breezy, from the front of the library.

A shot of some Peekamoose runoff in its solid state...the picture doesn't show it well but those ice formations are over 20ft tall.

It was an hour trip from my place in Jeff, and well worth the drive as I got to see many of the things I have read about but not touched. Its a very rugged area with many, many small streams running through it, Catskill terrain at its finest! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Great pics and story line. Hard to believe so many years have passed. Still remember the talk he gave at a TU meeting.