Opening day…

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Opening day…

Post by Eperous »

… and The Polar Express

For all the folks who are working Wednesday, too old or too young, waiting on warmer weather, no snow or ice, mayfly hatches, less frigid stream conditions, lower clear flows, green grass, or whatever; THANK YOU! ;) Thanks for giving me more water to explore on opening day and allowing me to hear the bell without too many other anglers to interfere.

Several years ago my wife and I took our oldest two grandchildren to see the movie, The Polar Express. While most folks might think this flick, based upon a book by Chris Van Allsburg, is about Christmas, I believe it’s about life and our willingness to remain young at heart no matter what one’s chronological age. I clearly recall Hero Boy saying, through the voice of Tom Hanks: "At one time most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I’ve grown old, the bell still rings for me as it does for all who truly believe."

For me, opening day of trout season continues to be all about hearing that bell and responding to its call no matter one’s age or stream and weather conditions; it’s about staying young at heart and getting excited about the simple pleasures in life – a longstanding angling ritual.

I walked the Ashokan today with my digital SRL searching for bald eagles while moving along. I only saw two, sitting in their nest.
od0.JPG
od0.JPG (225.34 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
And, just maybe cause a Catskill opening day is just hours away, snow squalls eat the mountain peaks. That's right SNOW! :o
od1.JPG
od1.JPG (100.76 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
od2.JPG
od2.JPG (85.43 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
When I was done with this, I checked on a few local streams. From the looks of things, one might need a 4X4 to get into some of the mountain hollows. Still plenty of snow about. And some brooks still iced over! :shock: :? :roll:
od4.JPG
od4.JPG (332.95 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
od5.JPG
od5.JPG (210.42 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
All this duly noted, my truck is packed and I’ll be up and at ‘em Wednesday morn, searching for the bell. The Polar Express, what a fitting connection for opening day 2015.

Good luck! And for the rest of ya, who lack piscatorial passion, have a nice day. :P

Ed

Matt Grobert

Re: Opening day…

Post by Matt Grobert »

Good luck, Ed!

Hope you have a great opening day.

Stay young, it suits you well.

Matt

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Enjoy the day Ed...your a real trooper! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Night_Browns

Post by Night_Browns »

Have a great day Ed. I hope that you have the best opening day ever. :-)

So far, I've been lucky enough to catch fish on a stretch of river where no one else is fishing, so it looks like I'll be chasing steel in the Western part of the state for a few more weeks. ;-)
I'm an experienced practitioner of the mystical art of night fishing for large browns. I don't normally catch many small fish.

I fish where you fish, you're just not there when I am. ;-)

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Exceptionally well said, Ed. Hope your Opening Day 2015 results matched your expectations.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

this is the weather that i grew up with that occurred every opening day. cold, damp, windy...normal stuff..standing in icy flow hoping for that one "was that a take". freestone fishing...hate it at times but i wish i was there shivering along with you.

there is ice out on a few ponds up here and the trout have been getting active....where's the sunshine!!!!

who's gonna be at the center on the 11th?

flymank

Post by flymank »

I am just glad fishing season is here again,can't wait to get started

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

ted patlen wrote:who's gonna be at the center on the 11th?
I will Ted, and a bunch of Guild folks too. Cant wait... CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ted patlen wrote: ... who's gonna be at the center on the 11th?
As much as I'd like to, especially the Guild event, I can't... it's our TU chapter's annual dinner/fund raiser on the 11th also, which I co-chair... and that eats up my day... :cry:

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

catskilljohn wrote:
ted patlen wrote:who's gonna be at the center on the 11th?
I will Ted, and a bunch of Guild folks too. Cant wait... CJ
Do you have anymore of those huge de model perfects?