Hendrickson guesstimates

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
TricoDoug

Hendrickson guesstimates

Post by TricoDoug »

Well folks, I suppose many are wondering when the Hendricksons will be popping on their favorite waters. I headed out to the Quabog River in central Mass today. This river gets a very strong hatch (I don't think I am giving away any secrets here). Typically this river gets Hendricksons a bit on the early side - the 10th to 12th is not unusual. I headed out expecting to see them today. Well, there were a good number of egg laying stoneflies - small ones about a #20 and larger ones in a # 12 / 14 … three rises. Water temps 55. No Hendricksons. So I would say that these bugs are going to be pretty seriously delayed this year.

I'll be giving it another look at the end of the week and will report back.

At least the peepers have found their voice!

catskilljohn

Re: Hendrickson guesstimates

Post by catskilljohn »

I would guess a few more weeks myself, simply because it feels like winter in the Catskills still. This week last year they were out in small numbers, and nothing serious till a week later.

Appreciate the report, let us know. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I saw many Hendricksons in the air yesterday on my favorite NJ stream. Fish were rising, but they were on the stoneflies and small caddis that were plentiful, not the Hendricksons.
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

Beaverkill

Post by Beaverkill »

They have been on the South Branch of Raritan and the Musky for the last few days along with stones and caddis. I usual get the egg layers on my driveway when the hatch is in force and haven't seen them yet...
Dan Ansbach

TricoDoug

Post by TricoDoug »

Latest update on what I am seeing - went to my Central Mass river again today. Water temps good (54) and flows high but pretty clear after the rains of Monday. It was warm and windy (felt more like a September day with the wind sweeping away summers last good tidings) but at 2:30 on the nose I saw a Hendrickson. And one rise. That was it!!!

So the hatch continues to be delayed, as expected. I suspect that hatch dates may exceed previously "record late" hatch dates that people have recorded. If I had to guess I would say that the hennies will be relatively short in duration but perhaps more intense as the season catches up with itself.

I'm not sure when I will get to this stream again in the near future but if I will do I will post again - I usually add two weeks to the hatching on this river when looking towards more northerly and westerly streams but this year it is anyones guess!!!

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

CJ, I can see the urine burned fox color in the little bugger. :)

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

wiFlyFisher wrote: ... I can see the urine burned fox color in the little bugger. :)
Well I didn't see any bugs here today :x , but lots of snowflakes... :cry: :cry:

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

wiFlyFisher wrote: CJ, I can see the urine burned fox color in the little bugger. :)
You got that right, what a fine example! Great shot Johnny! CJ

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Eperous wrote:Well I didn't see any bugs here today :x , but lots of snowflakes... :cry: :cry:
:roll: I know it...we are going to go from winter to summer this year. Or maybe it will just stay winter all year. The globe ain't warming in the Catskills, that's for sure. CJ

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

catskilljohn wrote:
Eperous wrote:Well I didn't see any bugs here today :x , but lots of snowflakes... :cry: :cry:
:roll: I know it...we are going to go from winter to summer this year. Or maybe it will just stay winter all year. The globe ain't warming in the Catskills, that's for sure. CJ
You are probably getting what we just had earlier in the week.