One Fly to use all season

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
ewpeper

Re: One Fly to use all season

Post by ewpeper »

fishamidge wrote:Eric, would love to see picture of CDC & Elk. I will post a picture of emerger I picked soon as I can figure out how to down load picture from camera. I'm new at using computer & digital camera just got both within a week or so. My brother told me welcome to 1998.

Jimmy
Here's a photo of the CDC & Elk taken by the originator of the pattern, Hans Weilenmann, an extremely talented and creative fly tier from the Netherlands.

and here's a link to an excellent tutorial on tying the pattern.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/steps/cdcelk/cdcelk.htm

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

fishamidge

Post by fishamidge »

Eric, thanks for picture great fly I can see one rise to it on the big "D" already.Thats a fly you can do alot with from top to bottom and will float like a cork when you want it.

Thanks again Jimmy

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Just in the FWIW category, when I know I'll be fishing it dry, I use a small amount of Dry Magic floatant when I start to fish it. If it gets eaten or soaked, I rinse it and use a Wonder Dry Fly Patch to blot it dry and then some Frogs Fanny. If I know I'll be fishing it in the film as well as dry, I don't use anything except false casts to dry the fly.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

streamertyer

Post by streamertyer »

Gold Ribbed Elk Hair Black Ghost Caddis Larvaberg. :twisted:

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

streamertyer wrote:Gold Ribbed Elk Hair Black Ghost Caddis Larvaberg. :twisted:
What the... :o :shock: :? 8-) :x :oops: :cry: :roll:

Soft-hackle

Post by Soft-hackle »

Quite a selection! I guess i must disappoint everyone, except Jim Slattery. Here's mine:

Leisenring Spider

Mark

redietz

Post by redietz »

Soft-hackle wrote:Quite a selection! I guess i must disappoint everyone, except Jim Slattery. Here's mine:

Leisenring Spider

Mark
Hardly disappoints me. I'm sure I could catch with it all season.
Bob

Soft-hackle

Post by Soft-hackle »

Bob,
I had forgotten you posted in this thread as well. I'm sure you'd do just as well as I'd do with this fly. ;)

Mark

willowhead

Post by willowhead »

Most likely i "would" of said a Usual (or some version of it, i tye three variations), but Tom already picked it. It's my favorite all-round Trout fly, and the most fun to fish. Extremely versatile fly.
i can definately see where most are commin' from and agree with all. Believing in your fly is half the battle. Love Hans CDC & Elk. Use it a lot and yes he is, very talented and creative.
But, i think when it comes right down to it..........if i "HAD" to choose. It'd prolly just be a simple soft hackle of some kind. And most likely, unweighted. Fish it in the film in slow water.....and let the riffles do their thing to it in faster water. You can't catch Trout with those things, it's time to take up golf. Prolly use a Partridge & Olive.....that'd fake out most Trout just bout any time of year. Best thing bout a soft hackle, is you can fish it anywhere in the water column. i hate bottom dredgin' unless there's no way around it. Rather fish a streamer anyday. Frickin' strike indicators and lead are for those still stuck at level one or two. Hung-up would be a better way to put it than stuck. :D :P

brough

Post by brough »

My choice would be a cdc elk caddis or Mr. Rubber legs

Thanks,
Brough