Dana Lamb --- fifty years ago

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Dana Lamb --- fifty years ago

Post by Eperous » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:52 pm

I'm near water, but without a cane rod... watching two young grandsons--- solo--- practice for a swim meet... so I brought book along to read before the afternoon meet... the book is Woodsmoke and Water Cress by Dana Lamb... it was published fifty years ago, in 1965... it reads as good today as ever, but might be a tad pricey if you don't already have a copy...

I think it would be a nice project if someone could gather up all of Lamb's thin books, and republish them under one new cover...

Ed

ewpeper

Re: Dana Lamb --- fifty years ago

Post by ewpeper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:28 pm

As you know, Dana Lamb is one of my (perhaps THE) favorites as well-- doubly so since I knew him personally, and we got together for lunch periodically. Haven't all the books been redone since the original Barre Publishing editions (except for the last which Winchester Press did in the mid 70s)? Regrettably, they always had a rather limited audience, and I doubt any publisher would be willing to take it on.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:50 pm

ewpeper wrote: ... Haven't all the books been redone since the original Barre Publishing editions (except for the last which Winchester Press did in the mid 70s)? Regrettably, they always had a rather limited audience, and I doubt any publisher would be willing to take it on.
Eric, I'm guessing not all his books were republished... the price of his used, out-of-print books vary by title... some sell for as cheap as a couple dollars, while a few others start at $100 and go up... I agree with you last comment... I think a reader needs to appreciate reading "stories", not "how to"... though I don't hunt, nor have fished for Atlantic Salmon, I enjoy those stories also since he's a fine author... and when he mentions the Catskills, old Catskill names/places, and the like--- I savor every word...

Like you, I truly enjoy this author and the adventures he wrote about dated in the 60s... life was different then, and there are an increasingly fewer number of us who remember those days, and the days that predate them...

Ed

Ed Pirie

Post by Ed Pirie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:31 am

Hi fellas, a topic close to my heart, Dana Lamb. Add in Corey Ford and I will follow you anywhere.

It took me a while, but I finally completed my set of Dana Lamb books, all nine. And yes, some were pricey, but I still felt they are well worth the asking price.

Now, I guard them with my heart and will pass them along to my son some day. I just hope he realizes what a treasure he will be getting. I have talked Dana Lamb up to him so I think he gets it.

And Eric, I am just plain jealous of you. Every once in a while you will see a post that asks us to think about who we would like to spend a day with, my choices are always Dana Lamb or Corey Ford, or better yet, both. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall back at the Algonquin Club when the likes of Corey Ford, Dorothy Parker, and some others gathered for lunch. When I was a kid, I watched the mailbox each month like a kid waiting for Christmas for my "Field and Stream" magazine to arrive. Why, well, the "Lower Forty" column by Corey Ford of course.

I should add Gene Hill to the mix. He was also "top shelf" in my book. Three great writers for you here, Dana Lamb, Corey Ford, and Gene Hill.

Ed Pirie (not getting out so much this summer as I wish I could - nursing a torn meniscus in my knee - ouch!)
West Tospham, Vermont