Attention Atherton fans....

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

Attention Atherton fans....

Post by mikevalla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:40 am

You might be interested in the new printing of Atherton's classic. The Atherton family is very excited about this new printing.

A renaissance is happening---far and wide---concerning Atherton's contributions. As is also true with classic Catskill dry flies and other patterns.

-Mike Valla

The new printing of Atherton's "The Fly and the Fish" is not yet released but is on Amazon for pre-order:

Follow me on Twitter

catskilljohn

Re: Attention Atherton fans....

Post by catskilljohn » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks Mike...looking forward to it, especially the forward! :D CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:42 pm

IMO, this was one of "the best" books on flyfishing for trout I ever read... changed my whole approach to this pastime...

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:58 pm

First book review is in on a great title being released simultaneous with "The Fly and the Fish." It's the memoir that Atherton's wife, Maxine, wrote a few decades ago but was unable to get published. Eric Peper and I had the great honor of going over the text a couple of years ago, on the request of Atherton's granddaughter. I'm sure Eric will chime in here and agree there's some great stuff in the book...mentions of "Mr. Hewitt" etc.

Click on the link for more info:

http://gardenandgun.com/article/books-reel-love

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 am

mikevalla wrote:First book review is in on a great title being released simultaneous with "The Fly and the Fish." It's the memoir that Atherton's wife, Maxine, wrote a few decades ago but was unable to get published. Eric Peper and I had the great honor of going over the text a couple of years ago, on the request of Atherton's granddaughter. I'm sure Eric will chime in here and agree there's some great stuff in the book...mentions of "Mr. Hewitt" etc.

Click on the link for more info:

http://gardenandgun.com/article/books-reel-love

-MV
Thanks for covering for my oversight on this. Yes, the book has some wonderful tales of people and rtivers and fishing with which we all can identify, and the book reflects Maxine's unique personality wonderfully.

I had the good fortune to meet and talk with her several times in the mid 70s at TGF gatherings, and she was a hoot. Less than 5' and less than 100#, and she still occasionally fished her 8-weight Gillum on the Miramichi well into her 80s.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:05 pm

I "pre-ordered" her book as it's not available until March, but got a discount price from B&N in doing so... looking forward to this as I really enjoyed John Atherton's book, one of the best I ever read--- regarding flyfishing for trout, IMO...

Ed

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:04 pm

catskilljohn wrote:Thanks Mike...looking forward to it, especially the forward! :D CJ
I am definitely a Atherton fan as well as MV. :-)

I will have to order it.

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43 pm

Will be looking for Maxine's book. Is anything different in this edition of 'The Fish and the Fly' from the original 1951 or the second edition in 2006?

Atherton always seemed to me someone who, if you met on a stream, might say to you,' This has been working for me, you might want to give it a try.' I've always liked his ' this works for me, you might want to try it attitude' that came across in his writing too rather than that of some of today's writers who seem to imply that if you don't use their fly or their method you're an idiot. Maybe not in those exact words, but it just oozes from between their words.

Somewhere I have a pair of John's flies with a letter of provenance from Maxine. When I dig them out I'll take a pic and post it.

I remember quite a few years ago now, when I first met Wally who lives in Atherton's old homestead on the Battenkill and Wally found an old article manuscript of Atherton's some where within and put it on ebay. I put a bid on it and planned to wait until the last few seconds to hit it hard, but got involved on a phone call and missed the ending. Bernie P. won the bid I found out later and that eased my pain a bit as those of you who know Bernie know that when he wants something you just can't out bid him. So all I would have done is run Bernie 's price up...or help Wally..:)At least I know it has a good home. Bernie, by the way, had a stroke on his now yearly trek to South America, made it back with the help of some very nice people he had just met and is slowly recovering. Now where did I put those flies....?

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:12 pm

Will be looking for Maxine's book. Is anything different in this edition of 'The Fish and the Fly' from the original 1951 or the second edition in 2006?
Bob, "The Fly and the Fish" is essentially the same book, aside from the new Foreword that I wrote. A piece, by the way, that I wrote in the "Atherton Room" of my Shushan, NY Battenkill cabin ( named "Vallahalla", by the Wally you mentioned in your post). Had I thought about it, and something that I mentioned when I was at Wally's house recently, I could have written the Foreword in the Atherton house itself, the home that Wally now owns. Wally agreed. I could have written it in the same room where Atherton crafted the book! Oh well...

One difference between this new Skyhorse re-issue compared the Dover reprint---the color fly plates, and it's being released as a hardcover like the original 1951 printing and the 1971 release. I had mentioned to the editors, and to the Atherton family, that the color fly plates in the 1951 first edition were much more vibrant, especially the salmon flies, when compared to the reprint edition by Dover. The colors were pale by comparison. I own a copy of the 1951 book and I offered to send my copy to the editors at Skyhorse, to scan at very high res, to recapture the the more vibrant plate colors. They didn't want to take a chance losing my book, so they asked me to scan the plates at 1200 DPI---which I gladly did for them.

As far as the "Max" book----it's an amazing read.
Follow me on Twitter

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:39 pm

LOL Yup , Fly and Fish. Found the letter and flies, tiny hair wing salmon flies.
Attachments
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG (145.03 KiB) Viewed 1422 times