Scouting new territory

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
stokes

Scouting new territory

Post by stokes »

So I moved to Columbia county back in Novemeber and havent had any time for fishing as yet this spring,lots of work at the new house.I did get a chance to take the dog for a walk in Taconic State park,about 5 mins away,on the Mass border.Bash-Bish Brook runs thru it and we hiked about a mile stretch.Looks promising.I checked out a couple closer creeks,wasnt impressed,this area is very flat and most creeks are very slow and have silty,sandy bottoms.Anyways the Bash bish is more like a Catskill creek,pretty steep terrain,faster water,very rocky and saw a lot of insects,mostly caddy's.I came upon a nice deep pool,not very big,about 30' by 15' or so wide.Looked to be about 10' deep from where I stood,30 or so feet above it.Crystal clear water like looking thru glass right to the bottom.I saw 6 what appeared to be brookies actively feeding on the surface at the tail.While watching them I heard a big splash up at the head of the pool where the water was spilling into the pool.I moved up to get a closer look and could see a fairly large form under the foam spilling into the pool.He was holding on the bottom and would drift back with the current about 5 or 6 ft and rise like a rocket and break the surface with a spectacular splash every time.Looked to be about 10" or better.I could see the white edge on the fins of the smaller ones at the tail,but this one I couldnt i.d. for sure,could have been a brown,but not sure.I watched them for about 20 mins wishing I had my rod.When we got back home I loaded it in the back of the truck where it'll stay til November.I'll be finished installing some fencing tomorrow and next week I'll be back at that creek,hopefully be reporting some action.Hope to get at least one day on the Esopus or Woodland Creek next week as well.

stokes

Re: Scouting new territory

Post by stokes »

Got back to the Bash-Bish Brook on wed afternoon for about an hour.Took 3 small brookies,4-6" out of the tail of that deep pool.Second cast to the head of the pool and I landed the big one,a 10" brookie.Think I'm gonna love this stream.