The Legend of Dan Cahill

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

The Legend of Dan Cahill

Post by Eperous » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Today I received my Spring 2017 issue of Fly Tyer magazine. It contains a very interesting article written by Ed Van Put, titled--- "The Legend of Dan Cahill". It's a very interesting read.

Ed

johne

Re: The Legend of Dan Cahill

Post by johne » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Ed,

Is that the story of the train, Callicoon Creek and a bunch of Rainbow Trout? Thanks for the heads up! I have always been fascinated by that tale.

Thank You

John

greyfox

Post by greyfox » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Every time a catch a bow in the Delaware system I wonder if it can be traced to that train.
"There's mosquitoes on the river Fish are rising up like birds"
Grateful Dead

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:11 am

I have to find that magazine...anything by VanPut is worth buying!

The Callicoon Creek story is probably my favorite tale. I have a special connection to that particular body of water as it runs right across the street from my place in Jeff.

I think from past readings though, the first bows came from California rather than a broken down train, though I always recant the train story as it's so much more colorful. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:50 am

Anyone here, besides Mike Valla, remember this...
OD4691.jpg
OD4691.jpg (365.18 KiB) Viewed 905 times
OD4692.jpg
OD4692.jpg (410.73 KiB) Viewed 905 times
... this two part 1969 Outdoor Life article shaped my life forever, and now almost a half-century later this particular story is being rewritten...

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:57 am

Yup. Even the illustration.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 am

Ed, can you post page 175 from the 1969 Outdoor Life article?????

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 am

wiFlyFisher wrote:Ed, can you post page 175 from the 1969 Outdoor Life article?????
John, I can scan it as a photo as I did above and post it that way, but it has nothing to do with this story... it's about Hewitt and the Neversink...are you sure you want page 175 of the April issue? Page 179 recalls the Cahill story...

BTW, in trading emails with Ed Van Put, I found out that the editors of Fly Tyer took a scalpel to his original article, eliminated paragraphs, and modified his wording in places... I read a copy of what Ed submitted and his conclusion was, "After all of my research I found no information to substantiate any of the stories about Dan Cahill, or that he even existed. History should be verified by dates, testimony, and supporting documentation. The lack of any evidence that this story is factual was disappointing, but the conclusion I reached is that it is simply a story."

And, I should add that in later years Cecil Heacox, the author of the original 1969 Outdoor Life Charmed Circle articles wrote this about Dan Cahill in his 1974 book, The Compleat Brown Trout, "At one time, I was led to believe, Dan Cahill, a brakeman on the Erie Railroad and a sometime Catskill fisherman, invented the modern version of the fly." (pg. 140) while discussing the Light Cahill. The groundwork for the retraction of this "story" was already being laid only five years after being told in Outdoor Life.

Ed

eastprong

Post by eastprong » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:47 pm

So how did the rainbows get into Callicoon in such numbers and eventually, to the Main Stem? Was it a club stocking specifically for Callicoon?

Bud

Post by Bud » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:05 am

Folks--

I had an exchange with Ed Van Put yesterday, and the article as he wrote it will appear in the March Catskill Fly Tyers Guild Gazette.

Many thanks to Ed and to those who suggested that he get the original article out via the Gazette.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)