Our Pics from the past:

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

Our Pics from the past:

Post by mikevalla »

It would be nice to see a few photographs, from some of you here, when you were "just starting out" fishing--whether with bait, lures, or flies. So, jump on board everyone---and stick up some old pics of yourselves--and the story behind your formative years!

I was originally going to put up this pic as a "Guess the River" question. But that would be totally unfair, since I believe there is only ONE fellow on this Forum that should know the location :)

As you can see, the pic says April 1967--but think we were there in March (?). There's me at age 13, with my youngest sis, handling my trusty spinning rod with Zebco Reel. Only 8 months before I first tied a trout fly, I still was not totally ready to give up lures. That was 43 years ago.

The location: Let's see if our unnamed Forum member is paying attention or not (the only reason I know he knows the stream, is becuase he's mentioned it, in passing, here) :D .

By a very strange set of circumstances, we traveled to this water on a short visit from New York State following my father (in a happier time of our lives), who was secured by State Biologist Richard (Dick) White to conduct a trout population dynamics sampling study. It was an uncertain time, sense little was known about the stream's capacity to maintain trout, especially holdover fish.

The stream was almost 100% private at the time (probably still is--even worse in terms of free access), had only been a trout fishery for a mere year. The landowners along the river were approached by the State Wildlife dept, and exclusive permissions were granted to my father to sample the river, for the purposes of management planning. We tagged along, enjoying the climate of the locality. (notice the attire for April (March?) wading)

To many, at that time, this was really quite the boonies. No fisherman, except a few bait folks at the bridges, and certainly no fly fishermen frequented rivers there in those years. It was an untouched resource really.

OK, Forum member--I expect that you should not only be able to name the Stream, but the exact stretch of water, too! :P

Follow me on Twitter

narcodog

Re: Our Pics from the past:

Post by narcodog »

Them some knobby knees. :mrgreen:

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

i'll try....neversink gorge area...?

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

....nope.....
Follow me on Twitter

corlay

Post by corlay »

I see the predilection for weird hats, goes back a long, long, way... :D

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

This is cool, great idea Mike!

Here are 2 photos of me,[they had color pictures then, unlike in Mikes younger years :lol: ] the year was 1978, I was 14, in the left picture, 1979 in the right. Fiberglass rod, Medalist reel, nothing but the finest equipment cutting grass can afford :lol:

On the left, some Callicoon Creek stockies. My dad didn't quite know what to do when he picked me up after dropping me off at the stream 8 hours earlier. Mom knew though, and we had those at lunch the next day.

The one on the right was taken at the lake where the Jefferson Lake Hotel was. They used to rent those aluminum watercrafts out for $5.oo a day, and I think we were the only ones who used them. You paid at a little shack next to the lake, and they gave you the oars. I had many good times out on that lake, and as fate would have it, our summer house is directly across the street from it now! The Hotel is gone, as is the little shack where the boats were rented, but the memories still remain. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Some nice pictures boys, can't believe Johnny actualy had a fro :lol:
I got one too laying around, will have to see if I can find it, my first trout on Bamboo :D

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

scholarie ?

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

You people are funny lookinnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom :shock:

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Ted...no...not the Schoharie....
Our "Forum member" has either not logged on...or is not staring at the pic closely.
Hint: Those are Cypress trees along the stream bank.

John---love those trousers! Look at that Fro!
Follow me on Twitter