Most senior member?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
jlynch1960

Most senior member?

Post by jlynch1960 »

Hi- First post. I've been lurking for awhile, reading threads and admiring patterns. Really great site.

The season opening always gets me a bit nostalgic and got me thinking about the years flying by and all the time I've spent enjoying the Catskills and casting to fish (and getting a few now and again). It got me wondering if any old timers who fish our streams frequent this site. I did a couple of searches. Read some posts about the old Antrim and one on Older Gents, so I figure there are a couple of you out there who've been around and, to me anyway, it would be interesting to hear a bit about the old days.

I suppose there's some creeping sense I won't be able do this forever and it would be heartening to hear someone pipe up about fishing for the last 60 plus years. Had a nice conversation a few years back with a fellow on the Willow who must have been well into his 80s. Hope I can do the same some day.

So, recognizing that the oldest out there probably don't hang around online, who here's been around the longest? How do things compare? Encounters with any of the legends? No wrong answers.

Jim

ewpeper

Re: Most senior member?

Post by ewpeper »

Near as I can recall judging from some old pictures I scanned from slides recently, I first fished the Willowemoc near the covered bridge along with several smaller "cricks" in the Sullivan/Delaware country area on my own roughly 63 years ago when I was about 12 years old. Before that I had fished both branches of the Delaware and the Esopus from Oliverea down to the 5-Arch bridge with my dad on a few occasions Moved away from NY in about 1976 and have only fished there sporadically since, but it is still the trout water that is closest to my heart.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Here's a twist on the topic: I've been fishing for roughly 74 years, but started fishing the Catskill (Beamoc) region less than 10 years ago. Notice that I started out using bamboo ;) .
And so it began ....jpg
And so it began ....jpg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 706 times

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Tie2fish

Fantastic ......
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Tie--

What a great picture!--the fish, the pole (which is not yet a rod), the hat, the coat, the dog, and above all the expression on your face--which seems to say everything that needs to be said about your future as an angler.

bb

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Bill... that IS a great picture as already noted... my "first bamboo" stick looked something just like yours... I probably paid ten bucks for it at Two Guys on Route 22 in Union, NJ back in the early 60s... it came with a level fly line and dabber as I recall... we all have to start somewhere... not sure it matters so much where we started as much as it does where we end up... ;)

Ed

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Eperous wrote:.. not sure it matters so much where we started as much as it does where we end up... ;)

Yup, Ed, you are totally right about that. My fishing buddies--as nice a bunch of SOBs as anyone could wish to fish with--have already assured me that for all of eternity I will be fishing the River Styx.

bb

HookI

Post by HookI »

Eperous wrote:Bill... that IS a great picture as already noted... my "first bamboo" stick looked something just like yours... I probably paid ten bucks for it at Two Guys on Route 22 in Union, NJ back in the early 60s... it came with a level fly line and dabber as I recall... we all have to start somewhere... not sure it matters so much where we started as much as it does where we end up... ;)

Ed
sure do remember " Two Guys " & I remember the milk machines ( grandma's house Linden NJ ) you went to if you needed on Sunday cause stores were closed back then . Maybe one of these days a Bamboo for I when I learn more about this game
If it has fins I want to catch it .

HookI

Post by HookI »

tie2fish thanks for sharing[/quote]
If it has fins I want to catch it .

walt

Post by walt »

Wow, thinking about this is making me feel old. I first fished the Beaverkill when I was 11 years old, in 1963. I was very proud of my new telescopic steel fly rod. I had been tying flies for a year already (that's another story) and I was anxious to see how the trout liked them. Fast forward to a few years ago and I guided a member of the Woman's Fly Fishers Club of New York who told wonderful stories of fishing the Beaverkill and other Catskill streams as a young girl with her father. They road the train from New York City, then a ferry, then the train to Roscoe where they stayed with a local farmers family. They paid the farmer to drive them in a horse and wagon along the stream where they stopped and fished where they liked. The farmers wife would put up a picnic lunch for them. Try to imagine the train still running and the acid factories still operating. The stretch of the Beaverkill at Horton was still a giant industrial acid factory complex. There was a train roundabout and turntable at Fish's Eddy on the East branch. This fisher woman was in her 90's and could still cast and fish very well. My job was to keep her from falling down while wading. We spent the day with her holding on to my arm until ready to cast. I was more a wading staff than a fishing guide I think, but it was so much fun to be out with her. She was a hoot. I hope I can still be fishing if I make 90. I am retired now and have moved to Wyoming where my home river is now the Snake and its tributaries, but I am a Catskill fly fisherman at heart.