furled leaders ?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikegsp

furled leaders ?

Post by mikegsp » Sat May 08, 2010 11:03 am

What is the best way to attach tippet material to a furled leader that has a loop on it, loop to loop ? or a clinch type knot.

narcodog

Re: furled leaders ?

Post by narcodog » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 am

I use loop to loop. I have not ever noticed any hinging or the lack of turn over.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Sat May 08, 2010 3:11 pm

This will be my first season with furled leaders, and those I bought have a silver ring to which I will attach tippet using a clinch knot. For the past half dozen or so seasons, I have been tying a surgeon's loop in the end of my knotless mono leaders and attaching tippet to this loop using a clinch knot. I've not experienced any hinging doing this, and durability has been excellent save for the occasional pilot error in knot tying.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

skondolf

Post by skondolf » Mon May 10, 2010 8:09 am

If your leader is made out of mono or flouro I'd use a loop-to-loop. If your leader was furled using thread i.e. uni 6/0 you might want to consider getting some of those small tippet rings and putting one on. I'd be concerned with your tippet material cutting through the thread loop. A furled leader usually only has 3-5 strands of thread at the tippet end.

Not sure if Joe sells these or not but you can find them online or you can actually order some from www.streamsideleaders.com
Best Wishes,
Steve
><((((((*>

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Fri May 14, 2010 3:30 pm

I am giving furled leaders a third try. I have previously tried furled leaders made of UNI thread and fine mono...I didn't like either one.

This time I got a couple of silk-furled leaders from Quigley's. They are made from Peersall's gossamer silk thread. I decided to try something unconventional (for leaders anyway)...I warm-bathed them in boiled linseed oil to impregnate them (same treatment I do my silk fly lines). When dry, they should not be quit so limp but also not as springy as a mono leader. I'll dress them with mucilin and give a report.

The off-white leader I got went almost translucent when it hit the oil. When in the water, I'm hoping for the same.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 pm

I did the same thing with my leaders, vaccum in the boiled linseed oil, wipe off the excess and after a day or 2 when they dried, found they were alot stiffer and handled more like an extension of the fly line than the virgin ones. The problem I had was mine sunk. Fast! Maybe not enough muclin? I sent some to another forum member to try and his floated fine, but he couldn't get them to turn over a fly. Just the opposite of what I experienced :lol:

I made up some new ones this week, should be dry for Sundays baptism, I too will post the results. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

drlogik

Post by drlogik » Fri May 14, 2010 11:19 pm

CJ,

The ones that sank, did you make them from UNI thread or silk? I was thinking about dunking a third one in an extra "fortified" mix of Bergman's formula to see how that works.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri May 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Both. I think they needed more Muclin, but I was surprised that they have the exact same treatment as the silk line they are loop-to looped to and they sank right away. I wiped some floatant on them and it kept them up in slow water, but for the most part, they were sinkers.

These new ones are going to be good and dressed with Muclin, we will see... CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

The Big Bambu

Post by The Big Bambu » Sat May 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Lets twist one up ....

I've been using furled leaders for about 4 years now and they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Very delicate presentation on the lighter lines and on the 5 &6 wt they turn over any large Catskill pattern. Not to mention how long they last I am using leaders that are 4 yrs old.

I twisted my own right away. I got a pamphlet from Cathy Scott (she was out of disc's) and it is so easy, you can do it no problem.

The reason I started twisting my own is I like to fish a 12'-14' leader and with a 5'6" but section I had to much tippet to build. I have been making 8' but sections and they rock.