Equipment Failure

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
squish67

Equipment Failure

Post by squish67 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:15 pm

For the last 15 years or so a bottle of Ben's 100% DEET has resided on top of two plastic boxes of caddis drys and emergers in the large right front side entry pocket of my old Orvis shorty vest. This past Sunday I couldn't get the zipper to open! After some pulling and prodding it opened, but the boxes were glued to the fabric. Again, after more pulling and prodding I got the the boxes, now melted, and the empty bottle of deet out. Apparently some time last week the top on the deet decided to loosen, spilling the contents on the two plastic boxes below. It required some nifty knife work, and some cutting, but except for two compartments, the flies were saved. If you look at the box on the right you will note two dark globs. These are caddis pupa now permanently embedded in plastic.
I blame my self for this, as 40 years ago Silvio Calabi wrote an article on bug repellents for Fly Fisherman in which he related a story I had told him. A friend of mine was getting ready to go fishing, and had just put on his 100% deet when the phone rang. He answered and had a quick conversation but when he went to hang up, the phone was welded to his ear. There was some tearing and some blood but eventually he managed to remove the hand piece, but it is an experience he long remembers and I should have! :lol: :lol:
P8290079.JPG
P8290079.JPG (125.86 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

Eperous

Re: Equipment Failure

Post by Eperous » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:53 pm

squish67 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:15 pm
... I blame myself for this ...

Well Rich, at least we know the cause.. :? and, just maybe you don't fish enough to check on gear, and avoid issues like this? :o :shock:

Just saying... :P and best of luck in getting a few more plastic fly boxes... ;)

Ed

squish67

Post by squish67 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Not to worry Ed, broke out the Wheatley's! May have to tie some more pupas! ;-)

I had been in those boxes the previous weekend, and all was fine. The Ben's was open only a crack, but that was enough. And, as I said, for the previous 15 years this had not been a problem. Go figure. I am attributing it to Global Warming! That, or the new moon! :D :D :D

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:00 am

I've done that, too! ...and we put that stuff on ourselves. I'm guessing it rewrites your DNA as it oozes down through your pores. As a kid my grandmother would bathe me in Old Woodsman's. My grandfather would rub me down with the time tested Maine logger formula: straight turpentine. I learned early that the bugs were the lesser of some evils.

gt05254

Post by gt05254 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:17 am

I feel your pain, Rich! Back in grad school, doing grouse research, I had to scrape the paint off my pencils used for field notes because of all the 100% DEET on my hands. I used to census broody grouse hens in early summer using a recording of a chick in distress, played on a little cassette player that I had to carry. By the end of each field season, that recorder was just a blob of melted black plastic, again from the DEET on my hands. I still use it, and I use the same spray bottle of Ben's that rich used, but I now only spray the back of my hands, and use the back of my hands to put the stuff on my ears, etc. The stuff must be totally non-toxic...look how normal those of us that have used it for years are!! LOL.
Gary

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 am

Just a heads up on DEET. We seem to spend our whole year testing bug repellants, half in Florida and half in Alaska. Got real fed up of DEET around plastics, as well as expensive optical coatings on cameras and binocs.

After trying lots of them, we've settled on products with Picaridin rather than DEET. It's a pepper derivative and not a new kid on the block. It's been around for over 20 years and has been highly regarded alongside DEET in Europe and elsewhere. As I recall reading the poop sheets, the military is even using it in some countries.

Lots of products out there with Picaridin. Our pick of the litter because we can buy it off the shelf locally is NATRAPEL, but there are several others equally good. If it can beat Florida's no-see-ums and skeeters and Alaska's blackflies, it's good stuff.

gt05254

Post by gt05254 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm

Had never heard of it before, but based on BB's endorsement, I'm going to give it a go. We'll see how it does on black flies in VT, ME and New Brunswick.
Gary

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:30 pm

gt05254 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:17 am
I feel your pain, Rich! Back in grad school, doing grouse research, I had to scrape the paint off my pencils used for field notes because of all the 100% DEET on my hands. I used to census broody grouse hens in early summer using a recording of a chick in distress, played on a little cassette player that I had to carry. By the end of each field season, that recorder was just a blob of melted black plastic, again from the DEET on my hands. I still use it, and I use the same spray bottle of Ben's that rich used, but I now only spray the back of my hands, and use the back of my hands to put the stuff on my ears, etc. The stuff must be totally non-toxic...look how normal those of us that have used it for years are!! LOL.
Gary
Gary - now THAT must have been some research!! I always wanted to domesticate the ruffed grouse......and I used to have an old farm in Shohola Pa - then i got married.
SORRY
didn't mean to hijack the thread....back to bug juice!
I agree with St.Froid here: Old Time Woodsman's Fly Dope, with a splash of turps on your hat, is GUARANTEED to keep EVERYTHING away from you:
Gnats, blackflies, chiggers, ex wives(and current ones too), muggers, ticks......that combo just plain WORKS....I wish I could get a bottle......
“Time to go fishing”

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Not that we have a really oppressive (compared to the Northeast and Midwest) bug problem in the northern Rockies, but I've adopted Permthrin as my favorite. I spray shirts and pants with the stuff every other year and rarely have a troublesome "swatting" day. The stuff withstands several washings before it needs refreshing. BTW, it's what is used in Orvis' "Bug Off" clothing.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Another vote here for permethrin...spray down a shirt and pair of pants, let it air dry and it will repel bugs for a month or more, even after washing.

Most importantly it kills/repels ticks, as mentioned in previous thread on this board.

And no oily mess to melt fly boxes or fly line.

rjj
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying