Mayfly Club Update, properly placed, revised and corrected.

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

It was a fun filled Mayfly Club tying clinic and get-together with a lot of interest in all the tyer were doing, and a couple of them were actually doing some tying. We had a very nice turnout and some great prizes in our raffle with only one going unclaimed even though we drew all remaining tickets. Sorry Ted, but your donation of an Evening with Sir Theo the Minuscule and his battery operated love toys can be re-donated next year
The March Brown pack rod donated by Cadillac Bruce Marino went first, although the winner (who will go unnamed) said, had he known the prints donated by Shawn 'Jackie Gleason' Britton were prizes and not just restaurant wall decorations he would have taken one of them rather than the rod. He held up the drawing for about a half hour while he tried to make his mind up as to which of the seven prizes to select, well, actually 5 prizes since he didn't think the two prints were part of the drawing: Tough decision. I think he is a BP exec in real life.

Ralph the Grump questioned the official membership of several of the participating tyers, but withdrew his objections after each of those in question bought a fly from him; and he did comment that he hoped all would return next year even if we had to dig some of them up.

Only one member wore the official black Mayfly Club shirt with insignia, and several guests suggested he should wash it in cold water and let it air dry as it was obvious he hadn't been doing so, and went on to ask if it were made of some type of stretchy material that would fit to any odd shaped body.

Old 'What's his name with the good looking wife' showed up with a box of items that he peddled to members. It reminded me of my younger days when I spent a lot of time in bookie joints and guys with questionable lineage would come in carrying bags of items at greatly reduced prices, always looking over their shoulders, and in a hurry to complete the transactions.

The fine writer and tyer Bill Logan tied with us as he needed some flies for the evening fishing. Catskill John was wowing everyone with complicated ties, and Senator Bruce Corwin was hurt all the way to his soul when an attendee refused to fork over seven bucks for one of his beautiful realistic collector bugs he had been admiring: obviously a newcomer to this game.
Foxy Joe demonstrated his flawless tight loop casting ability out on the grass and caught two of Danny's cats, while Retro assisted a fisherman's attractive wife with, I think, her casting.

Absolutely no one threw up in the parking lot this year and that in itself is a new record.
Four of us tried waiting out a downpour on the East Branch, but quickly agreed we could wait it out more comfortably in the Downsville School House bar.

Many thanks to Mark 'The Mouth' Romero for letting me sleep on the floor of his empty, empty of furniture anyway, house, and for spreading flyers throughout the town.
We talked long into the night and I now have a record of all hundred and three establishments and forty-seven internet sites he has been kicked out or off of.

Thanks too to John "The Musician' Hvasta for his effort putting posters around, and I'm sorry about the arrest, but I did say to place them under windshields during the day. I do understand his reasoning that the fishermens vehicles would be all herded up at the motels after midnight.

Kudos to Ted and to Judy DVS for their spreading of the word, and to Jim and Mike for tying and joining in the fun.
All members should be forever grateful to Jim, 'Bag of Donuts' Froio for producing our new beautiful Ltd Edition Mayfly Club pin and having them available for a ten-spot without any hope of recovering all the design and production cost.
And lastly, thanks to Danny and the Riverside Cafe for providing a place for us and our shenanigans.
I know I've missed harpooning a few of the members and if and when I can remember any other tidbits I will continue this report.
Heartfelt thanks to all who donated their time and prizes. With respect and at least this last line of seriousness, Thy good self, Bob Mead

ted patlen

Re: Mayfly Club Update, properly placed, revised and correct

Post by ted patlen »

by Mantis » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:55 am

It was a fun filled Mayfly Club tying clinic and get-together with a lot of interest in all the tyer were doing, and a couple of them were actually doing some tying. We had a very nice turnout and some great prizes in our raffle with only one going unclaimed even though we drew all remaining tickets. Sorry Ted, but your donation of an Evening with Sir Theo the Minuscule and his battery operated love toys can be re-donated next year
just remind me to wash them again ;)

willowhead

Post by willowhead »

Ted, don't forget to remind Brandt to bring the tape recorder....... ;)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

Teddy don't forget to use bleech!!!!