Smoky Mountains

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Bamboo&Brookies

Smoky Mountains

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

We had a family gathering in the Smoky Mountains a couple weeks ago.

I didn't have all that much time to fish, but I did sneak away a couple times and found some sweet little tribs that were still running cold (despite hot, dry weather like Catskills this summer.)

CJ and other small-stream lovers would have been in heaven -- high-gradient streams pouring into deep plunge pools, plenty of pocket water, all sorts of little eddies and slicks and undercuts, cascades, chutes, huge half-sunken boulders and ledges for great holding water.

Oddly enough, I caught only wild rainbows. The 'bows have replaced the native brookies in the low-to-mid elevations. Brookies only survive in water above 2,500 feet or so there, I was told.

Would like to get back there to spend more time fishin', especially in the higher elevations to chase some of the brookies.

Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

catskilljohn

Re: Smoky Mountains

Post by catskilljohn »

Ohhh man, those photos...your picture-taking is unbelievable!!

Really good looking water there buddy, especially that 3rd photo, what a textbook trout holding situation.

Thanks for the National Geographic quality pictures and sharing that, what a gem. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Great looking pictures, thanks for posting... we were in GSMNP a few years ago ourselves... did lots of hiking with my wife, but some fishing also... mostly small wild bows like you mention....

One of your photos reminds me of Clingmans Dome - third highest peak east of the Mississippi.... I would have to say the Smokies are probably the prettiest place I've ever visited on the east coast...

Thanks again for posting...

Ed

BTW - James R. Babb in Fly-Fishin' Fool writes about the Little River, one of the streams I happen to fish... he also mentions that a black bear killed a school-teacher who was reading a book along the stream while her husband was fishing... in no way, do I mean to make little of this, but I also left my wife - a school teacher at the time - reading a book along that stream... when I later told her about this incident - which I did NOT know about before hand... it was tough sledding here at home for a while...

willowhead

Post by willowhead »

Thankx for posting the great pics........the Smokies are on our to do list. We'll get there one day.........i hope. To fish i mean.....have driven through.....but never had time to stop. Rock hoppin' for native fish (Brookies there and here in the Catskills, Cutts in Montana, Bows in my native Calif. as a kid), has always been my very favorite way to fish.......20 ft cast at the longest. :D Your a good photographer. ;)

Bamboo&Brookies

Thanks all, I enjoy posting them.

Didn't take any fish photos this time... I had a larger size digital SLR on this trip and it was too clunky to carry around while fishing (and didn't want to risk dunking it.)

I did indeed take some nasty spills scrambling over those boulders while fishing. Them dang newfangled rubber-soled boots I bought, even with cleats, just don't grab like the old felts. I got the bruises to prove it. :?

These pictures were taken either before or after fishing.

Ed, you're spot on, that mountaintop shot is from Clingman's. It was very cool up there at 6000-plus feet, like walking through a refrigerated cloud, while down in the valleys it was scorching.

A couple of those shots are probably from the headwaters of Little River, I forget which branch.

I did not see any bears, surprisingly, since I see my fair share in the Catskills. The most annoying wildlife were some of the drunker tubers on the lower reaches of the rivers... felt like I was back on the Esopus on an August weekend afternoon. :lol:

Rob
-Old New England saying

brough

Post by brough »

B&B,

Thanks for the great pics, they really do show the beauty of the area. As a big fan of wild ones in the Poconos, your pics make me hope for a little more rain so I can visit them for a spell.

Thanks Again,

Brough

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

GSMNP is a real gem. I love fishing there and camping also. If you ever get to Cataloochee you can catch all three wild trouts.

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

great pics Bam.... that one of the things I need to do down the road... the west is my top fav.

drlogik

Post by drlogik »

Ah, the Smoky's...the fish are small and few and far between and anemic. The scenery is not all that great. Behind every photograph is a Kmart and convenience store. The locals are a bee-ach and the counties are dry. The water is really too warm to hold trout of any size or number. The area is infested with mosquitoes, chiggers and other creepy crawly things. Generally speaking, you should avoid the area entirely as it is ill-suited for trout or fly fishing. Really! Go out to Montana instead where there is real manly-man fishing. Forget the South. The fish we call brookies are nothing more than glorified minnows with spots.

I'm not sure where bamboo&brookies came up with those photos but they are obviuously not from North Carolina. Tennessee maybe....but NOT North Carolina. It's too warm down here for brook trout. Get real, they are Char and like colder water. All we have down here are small rolling hills and hot weather and warm water...HARDLY suited for trout. Go some place good and forget what you read here. It's a bunch of hooey...I'm serious!

Grant
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Bamboo&Brookies

...Not to mention the surly, menacing, double-barrel totin' hillbilly moonshiners you stumble upon in some a them lonely hollers. Nah, them little trout just ain't worth gettin' your shorts in a bind after you cross paths with them old boys. :oops: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:
-Old New England saying