Cold-Water Tour

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

Re: Cold-Water Tour

Post by mikevalla »

...continuing Cold Water tour.

Now at the famous Quack's diner, in Morrisville, grabbing a bite. Just got out of the Oriskany--one of my most favorite hot-weather spring-fed creeks of all time. Water temp at Noon today was 62 degrees. Wonderful water...

Now, on to Nine Mile creek...where I expect 55 degree water. A massive spring pours out of the mountainside. Fished this, and the Oriskany, for over 40 years now. Never -fail late summer/hot weather trout streams.....

If anyone wants direction to these PM me.
Follow me on Twitter

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Cold Water Tour continues....

Water temps on Nine Mile creek, at point of entry of major springs, was 49.8 degree F. The earliest memory I have of fishing is Nine Mile Creek, at the old Martisco mill, where my grandfather was netting a large trout below the first falls. I must have been 4 years old. It has been a hot weather favorite since then.

It is a deceptively small stream, the Oriskany. Low water temps here at the headwaters were great also. We saw some large, fat browns, and caught several in the 12" range---again on my favorite summer pattern, the Carpenter Ant.
My "photographer", who is highly allergic to Poisen Ivy, was unwilling to follow down-stream. Need to trade her in...

Off today to Spring Creek at Caledonia, and the Oatka...There's plenty of cold water out there...no need to fret....
Follow me on Twitter

willowhead

Post by willowhead »

Your not kiddin' Mike.............apparently it rained 11 inches in three days here, round the first of the month. Lake is up and they're runnin' water almost constantly.............nice cold water..........huge Trout and plenty of 'em..........but you need a boat. :D

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

ah great to hear you on fishing tour.. nice pics of PA area.. thats my kind of fishing where is peace and queit. Also good way to enjoy the retirement.
Good thing you went back to cane.. nothing beat the cane. How's the wife doing.. I bet she doing lots of knitting as you hitting the water. hope see ya in the late summer/ fall..

fishamidge

Post by fishamidge »

Mike,
Glad to see you enjoy yourself, I love those small PA streams or as they say creeks,
CJ if you need photo crew will follow you with camera. Price some of your wet flies :D
Tom must be nice to have no time limit, glad to see you and Marta are having good trip,
only 15 years 5 months to retire but who's counting :lol:

Jimmy

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

....the cold water tour continues.....

After having completed the Letort Spring Run, Young Woman's (in Pa), then the Genny, Oriskany, Nine Mile, and Oatka/Spring Creek (NYS) it's now on to Little River. Stay tuned...
Follow me on Twitter

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

mikevalla wrote:....the cold water tour continues.....

After having completed the Letort Spring Run, Young Woman's (in Pa), then the Genny, Oriskany, Nine Mile, and Oatka/Spring Creek (NYS) it's now on to Little River. Stay tuned...
Can't wait to hear what's next.... :D

Is the Little River the one and the same that's in GSMNP, if so, that's a LONG DRIVE... Be safe... ;)

And, if the Genny is the one that flows out of PA into the Southern Tier of NYS, not sure I would call that a cold water stream.... :o

But, the Spring Creek up in Caledonia is one of my favorite NYS spring creeks, and probably the toughest NYS trout stream I ever wet a line in... :oops:

Enjoy, and keep those reports coming....

Ed

skondolf

Post by skondolf »

I have to agree about Spring Creek - I swear those fish turn on their sides and wave their fins at ya as if to say "hello but don't waste your time!!"

So Mike - how did ya do at Spring Creek and the Oatka? Curious what the water temps were on the Oatka?
Best Wishes,
Steve
><((((((*>

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

skondolf wrote:I have to agree about Spring Creek - I swear those fish turn on their sides and wave their fins at ya as if to say "hello but don't waste your time!!"
A few times I've caught a couple there, some of the prettiest wild brown trout that I've ever seen anywhere... usually on size 24 cdc BWO's... once I fished the creek during a snow squall and the trout got real stupid, until it stopped snowing... :(

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

...the "tour" continues Tuesday.......I have an appointment with a stretch of water I haven't seen in many years....can't wait!
The little Becker 4wt. is getting quite a work out this summer. (ED---not the "Genny" you are thinking of....)
Follow me on Twitter