Please be kind, I have yet to fish the Catskill waters!

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
troutbum40

Please be kind, I have yet to fish the Catskill waters!

Post by troutbum40 »

Hey, I have been making the trip out to the Roscoe area for many years now and yes... I hate to say I have yet to fish the waters of the area! More to do with not sure were to fish and lack of willing fishing partners to show me the better spots {don't even need to know the secret "honey holes"}. Here's my question, Where should a person like myself start to fish in the area and have a better than average chance of catching a few fish? ;) And I practice" Catch & Release" only fishing!

skondolf

Re: Please be kind, I have yet to fish the Catskill waters!

Post by skondolf »

I'm probably not one to "offer advice" as I'm a relative newbie to fishing the Catskills. I don't live too near them so I don't get down there near enough. But I'll offer a few pointers.

First, if you're talking about fishing this time of year I wouldn't even consider the freestone streams. The Willow and Beaverkill are too low and warm to fish. I can't comment on the Esopus or Neversink as I've never fished them. I'm guessing you'd have to consider fishing either the East Branch or West Branch Delaware.

Places to fish? Anywhere you can get to the water. there's tons of info on the web if you do a little searching and many parking locations with public access. I doubt there's too many secrets left on these streams as they're so popular and heavily fished and what secrets there may still be are going to stay that way I'm sure. I've done pretty well in the past on the EB along Rt 30 up to Downsville. Many people swear by the WB but me personally I usually swear AT the WB.

I've asked many questions over the past few years and got some great advice but to be honest, the streams are there and the fish are in them. Decide on a stream to fish, check some maps, find a couple parking spots, get in the water and fish. I didn't do very well when I first started fishing the streams but the past few times I've been down there I've done better. I'm sure it's a learning curve but I almost feel I had to "pay some dues" before I was allowed to share in the fruits of my labor.

Oh, and don't be afraid to stop into one of the local flyshops in the area, spend a few $$$ on some flies and talk to the owner. Everyone I've ever dealt with has been very helpful.

Good luck.
Best Wishes,
Steve
><((((((*>

Bud

Post by Bud »

For information on the East Branch and West Branch, get a copy of Paul Weamer's Fly-Fishing Guide to the Upper Delaware River (Stackpole Books, $24.95). The Beaverkill and Willowemoc are indeed too warm and low to fish at the moment, and the Delaware is your best bet. Weamer's book is comprehensive and will tell you more than you can actually get your head around in several visits.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

troutbum40

Post by troutbum40 »

Hey, Thanks guys for the info! After leaving the message I thought it might be one of those "Fish where theres water" answers! I know of all the popular pools, run's and sections but hoping to find something off the beaten path. I have fished the West B. several times, with pretty good luck. Caught a few nice browns during a heavy sulpher hatch. Now there are some smart fish in that water! But I really love the challenge, even thou I find myself talking to myself outloud after every missed take, " Now how in the hell did I miss him"! ;)

fishamidge

Post by fishamidge »

A good bet would be West Branch get up to Deposit there are alot of places to park and fish,
you will also find people, if your looking to get away from people you will have to walk or find out some of the other places to fish,
Bud said Pauls book which is great. The problem alot of the other rivers are to warm.The W.Branch has great hatchs & fishing.
Before you go check the flows the water up there will be cold enough but if it is running to high wadding can be a problem.
Hope you have a nice trip let us know how you did
Jimmy

willowhead

Post by willowhead »

VERY good advise Steve.......Weamer is very knowledgeable, an excellant tyer, and a nice guy.
If i was going to try the Willow or the Beaverkill.....i'd be there before daybreak, and be in the water the second i could see to safely wade...............the water is usually much cooler for an hour or two right then anyway.....so no harm to the Browns at that time of day...........they can handle it. As long as the water temps are not over 70.....they'll be fine if released quickly and properly. Brookies and Bows, that's another story.............but the Browns are tough.
Just try Hazel Bridge (the Willow) or Carin's (Beaverkill), get in before anyone else and leave early. If you don't pick up a few nice fish at those places.....after the fish have rested all night.....take up golf. Be sure to have a thermometer with you, to be sure of the water temps. Keep it simple. ;)