Fly-Fest 2012

AaronH

Re: Fly-Fest 2012

Post by AaronH » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 pm

Jeff Sanders will be there.

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Good news.. my work sch had been change... now got that weekend off.. I will be there tying away.... awooooo

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:16 pm

CJ I will be there with the usual bunch of characters that come with me..

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Big Jim wrote:CJ I will be there with the usual bunch of characters that come with me..

Glad your going Jim, hope you can drag Frank along too ;) CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

skondolf

Post by skondolf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 am

FrenchFlies and I hope to make it
Best Wishes,
Steve
><((((((*>

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:25 pm

skondolf wrote:FrenchFlies and I hope to make it
I would love to see you 2 again Steve, hope you can be there. CJ

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:40 pm

-This year's fly challenge is the Corey Ford. An old pattern created by Walt Dette for his friend, Corey Ford.
There is actually another late 1930's version, but this is the pattern version being tied:
So, practice up!!

For those who don't know much about Corey Ford. Here's an excerpt from a story of my first introduction to him:

Corey Ford
(April 29, 1902-July 27, 1969)
By Mike Valla

>>"Over 40 years have passed since Walt and Winnie Dette graciously offered one of their spare bedrooms at the “old” Dette home that still stands alongside Rt. 17, within view of the Roscoe Diner. Dinner was over, Winnie’s Bridge Club had just left the house, and my first evening fly tying session with Walt came to a close. There would be ten days of this thrill ride but the first evening had to end, much too soon in the eyes of an eager and passionate fifteen year old kid. It was bedtime now.
I was staying in Walt and Winnie’s son Clay’s old room. Walt knocked on the door and asked if I liked to read before falling asleep. “What do you like to read?” Walt asked. I always read fishing books at bedtime, and that was my request to him. Walt returned to the room with an armful of books, piled to his chest. There were plenty to wade through over the next ten days. One book was written by someone I’d never heard of—a man named Corey Ford. I’m sure the book was one of Walt’s favorites—The Minutes of the Lower Forty (1962). There’s a clear recollection that Walt stayed in the room for a while, and told me about Corey Ford and experiences he had with him on the river. He obviously thought a lot of him. But who was this man Corey Ford?
During the 1950’s and 1960’s Corey Ford wrote for Field & Stream magazine a monthly column called, “The Lower Forty Hunting, Shooting and Inside Straight Club.” Ford wrote about the adventures surrounding a fictional group of sports- men living in Vermont. His writings were anthologized into books, including The Minutes of the Lower Forty. While Corey Ford is most remembered in fly fishing circles for that particular book one of the best pieces he ever crafted, for True magazine in 1952, was titled, “The Best-Loved Trout Stream of Them All.”
In the story Corey Ford told of the Beaverkill and his adventures on the river during the 30’s and 40’s. He writes: “I was born on the Beaverkill myself, in a manner of speaking. I learned to cast a dry fly over Barnhart’s Pool.” It’s a lovely tale about the pools and personalities that casted loops over their waters during those glorious years—personalities such as Theodore Gordon and his protégé Roy Steenrod, Rube Cross, Ted Townsend, John Alden Knight, Bill Schaldach, Mel Rosch, John Taintor Foote and John McDonald were not left out. And neither were the Dettes. Ford writes: “ Today Walt and his attractive wife Winnie have risen to the top of their profession, fashioning some of the most perfect feathered lures produced anywhere. Perhaps I am prejudiced: Walt named a trout fly after me once—the Corey Ford fly...”<<
Follow me on Twitter

Royal Wulff

Post by Royal Wulff » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:04 pm

John, RW here,

My son Steve and I will be attending Fly Fest. I don't know who is running this year's show. I assume it's JB but would appreciate you signing us up on the Catskill Flies website. I can't seem to get on that site. Than ks

RW

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 pm

I didn't see his name on the Museum's newsletter, looks like Catskillflies took it over. As always, you dont need to sign up, just show up! They have a list just to get an idea of the interest in the event, you wont be turned away. Looking forward to seeing you there, CJ

ps...I just put all 3 of us down as attending on CF site.

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I'll be there---but will be "tied up" at our CFFCM Trustee Meeting that same morning---will try to stop in. But, will probably blast out soon after...

-MV
Follow me on Twitter