I wuz banned (or not?)

bearbutt

I wuz banned (or not?)

Post by bearbutt »

I recently had to toodle my way to Switzerland to work on a couple of projects with some demented Euro colleagues who happen to be fly fishermen too--and as we talked fishing then flies then CDC, I tried to show them a couple of good threads on the Boards, but when I opened the site I got a big message saying "You have been permanently banned from this board". (bold face in original.) Drat, I thought, the dog back home has been fiddling with the computer and sending Gravy Train spam to everyone--but no, it couldn't be that, the dog has no thumbs anyhow. So I emailed Joe, and asked what's up, and he said I wasn't banned. But when I went from Zurich to Zuoz (there are a lot of Z's in Zwitzerland), the problem persisted--I couldn't get into the SGM Boards at all.

So--my question is, are the Boards closed to all European IP addresses? Or rather, from which IP addresses can the board be accessed or not? I ask because I want to send links to friends (I have in the past) but if they can't read them, it would be good to know.

bb

bearbutt

Re: I wuz banned (or not?)

Post by bearbutt »

bearbutt wrote: So--my question is, are the Boards closed to all European IP addresses? Or rather, from which IP addresses can the board be accessed or not? I ask because I want to send links to friends (I have in the past) but if they can't read them, it would be good to know.
Since no one answered my question, I had to get on a plane to fly to Hamburg and answer it myself--and it is working quite fine from lovely rainy Germany, so maybe one of the moderators can explain why Swiss IP addresses are banned? Or was it a temporary glitch? If there are members in Europe, can you tell us what countries you are accessing the site from?

Thanks,
bb

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Well, drat--still no answer to my query. It sort of feels like I have to fly all over Europe and figure it out myself.

So--Last week I went to London--and got the same message saying "You have been permanently banned". I tried emailing the Admin address given on the page, but got no reply.

So I guess London and Zurich are off-limits, but Hamburg is OK, and can't for the life of me find rhyme or reason to this. Can someone please please please explain what is going on?

It's a little sad because in London I was talking serious tying with a couple of guys, and tried to toodle over to SGM, but were rebuffed by the digital NO TRESPASSING sign. Do we have to be so territorial? I had no trouble accessing the FFIM and Wisconsin pages, or the Bamboo Boards--it's only SGM that gave me trouble.

bb

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

I can see your posts, so you have to be okay here. Safe flights. As ever, Bob

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I am sorry this is a problem, and I cant control the features here to allow/disallow used from accessing this site. I do know Joe is constantly working to keep this place spam free, and Dan the administrator does a great job keeping it that way but these internet guys find ways to bypass and spam anyway.

Its probably the way Joe has it set up that does not allow overseas users to access the site. I don't know for sure though.

Hope this helps, when I talk to him I will mention it. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Thanks, guys--. What is perplexing is that some overseas IPs are OK, and others are not, and it's not clear how they are hierarchized. In any case, I feel we are missing out on an important engagement with some really good international tiers who cannot access the site. I know the war with spammers is non-stop and brutal--I just wish there was a more elaborate registration system to keep them out?

Have a good summer,
bb

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

I'm back in London again, and wonder of wonders: I can log into SGM! I'm using the same computer as last time, but a different network, so I can't tell if the change relates to the network or CSJ working some magic with the admin--but I will say it's nice to be able to show some friends what is happening on SGM.

bb