New Member-Upstate Central NY

elcapitain44

New Member-Upstate Central NY

Post by elcapitain44 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Hello all.
I've been an avid trout fisherman for as long as I can remember, perhaps since 4 or 5. My father would allow me to accompany him on his forays to the Salmon River above Altmar, NY. He would leave me at the trestle pool to fish while he would fish up river from there. I couldn't follow him because I was too little for hip waders back then. Afterwards we would both fish the pool together until it was time to leave for home in Oswego. It was during one of those times that I hooked a huge 18" brown that I couldn't handle. I think I was about 8. I never forgot that day, and was hooked on trout fishing since then.
I received my first fly rod when I was 12. It was a combo with a yellow glass rod and blue automatic reel that had a level fly line attached. (can't remember make) I caught my first brown trout on Orwell Brook (?) long before the hatchery was constructed.
Some years later I was to meet up with the man who got me into fly fishing, Joe Wegzyn (sp). He also introduced me to tying my own flies. I started to build my own rods, three in all, and still have 2 of the 3.
Unfortunately I drifted away from not only my home state, but fly fishing in general for some years. I moved, but all my fly fishing gear stayed behind packed away at home. It was only recently that my old "pre-Springtime" urges brought me to the internet and fly fishing. Watching a myriad of YouTube videos of other's experiences has rekindled my old love of fly fishing.
Having found this forum, I will read, look, and perhaps chime in, in time. All you folks seem knowledgeable, respectful, and passionate about fly fishing. My kind of people.

Thanks,
John

gt05254

Re: New Member-Upstate Central NY

Post by gt05254 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Very cool. Welcome back.
Gary

elcapitain44

Post by elcapitain44 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks.
Wish the weather would cooperate!
John

The Novice Returns

Post by The Novice Returns » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Welcome aboard Matey!
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Spring is almost here - I think......
“Time to go fishing”