Sage 389LL...finest dry fly rod ever?

Graphite or Fiberglass
catskilljohn

Re: Sage 389LL...finest dry fly rod ever?

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:24 am

ted patlen wrote:yo,

Why do some people insist that a "fast" rod is required for dry fly fishing?

Maybe i should have started a different thread here. sorry if i jumped the thread line.

YO
No need for a new thread...its all on the same line...

From what I read about "dry fly action" in the history books, it was about "cracking" the fly on the backcast to dry it in the air. The stiffer the rod, the tighter the loop and faster the line speed, so it was easier to produce this sharp stop at the end of a cast to help shock the moisture off a fly.

There are plenty of rods that are "fast" and still offer a light tip for tippet protection, but I think in the hands of an experienced guy tippet protection is a user induced action. Everyone has seen guys fishing for hours and when that one fish finally rises and takes his fly, he almost dislocates his shoulder setting the hook...excitement sometimes gets the best of all of us. No rod ever made can help that tippet from breaking when subjected to that.

Rod design is a funny subject. I often wonder why there are so many types of cars, when so many look so much alike. I used to be able to tell you the make, model and year of a car from 1/4 mile away in a fog by just looking at the tail lights, now I cant tell the difference between 2 when they are parked next to each other 10ft away. Its about money, and winning over the spending public. Same thing with rod companies, they need to offer as many choices as possible to attract the highest number of customers for success. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:25 am

The only reason for a "fast" graphite rod IMO is because the marketing people tell you there is. Yeah, the examples you mention, Ted, of streamer fishing and saltwater are valid, but, for example, I still prefer my 9-wt. Loomis GL3 to a GLX for the saltwater application. Bottom line, it's a matter of what you like to cast. My favorite trout rods are those with relatively fine tips and pretty strong mid-sections. The former to protect tippets, the latter to help land big fish. The casting action of these rods falls into what is generally referred to as the "progressive" category, and by graphite marketing standards would be considered "slow." By bamboo standards they are moderately fast.

In this regard, has anyone viewed or tried the new Sage "Circa" model. Some refer to it as the second coming of the LL series. Sage says it's their new "slow" model. It lists at $775. Personally, I'd rather have a mid-range Granger 8642 (8.5' for a 5) for a little more than half that. In another forum I described Sage's marketing of the Circa as "an act of desperation and a little bit silly."

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:57 am

In another forum I described Sage's marketing of the Circa as "an act of desperation and a little bit silly."

Eric[/quote]

:D

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:41 pm

ewpeper wrote: In this regard, has anyone viewed or tried the new Sage "Circa" model. Some refer to it as the second coming of the LL series. Sage says it's their new "slow" model. It lists at $775. Personally, I'd rather have a mid-range Granger 8642 (8.5' for a 5) for a little more than half that. In another forum I described Sage's marketing of the Circa as "an act of desperation and a little bit silly."
Eric
I contacted Sage when I bought my LL, to get some info on what years they made them, etc. While the salesman was helpful, he continually mentioned and raved about their new Circa, how they feel much like the LL's of yesteryear except with todays lighter weight and technology, and summed it up by stating "we have come a long way since 1985".

As you mentioned, a Circa at $775. is a lot of coin. If you were patient, and had your heart set on an LL, you could theoretically have 3 of them for the cost of the Circa.

Its all about the latest and greatest, until the next model appears. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 am

That statement about having come a long since 1985 is really funny. My favorite Sage, a 690-4 GFL is from about that era, and I love its full flexing and very versatile action. I've fished it with both 5 and 6 weight lines in all configurations, and it likes them all. Seems to me if they aimed backward to 1985, they'd hit a really good target. :D

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 am

Duplicate post, sorry. Must've been too early.
Last edited by ewpeper on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 am

ibookje wrote:Sage obviously want to sell their newest and the latest.
If you got the means and you want to try the latest, that's all fine.
I have cast a few Circa's and they do indeed cast superb.
If you're happy with your golden oldie, that's fine too!

I just like the history I've built with my LL and I would like to continue our journey together. :)

It's not the mazaradi, it's who's driving it.

diablo

Post by diablo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:30 pm

To the OP question, is the Sage 389LL the finest dry fly rod ever?

IMO, possibly.

Several owners and previous owners think so.

Put me in the previous owner group as one that regrets selling a 389LL, but my SLT 389 is a nice rod, and has served very well.

Concerning the newer fast-action rods, I have not cast many that I like.

Grew up leaning to cast and fish with my father's Phillipsons, so those memories undoubtedly affect my preferences.

But I predominately use graphite, not just cane, and my rods include Winston (IM6 8'-0" 4wt, WT 8'-6" 4wt, WT 8'-6" 5 wt; BIIIx 9' 5wt and BIIIx 9'-6" 6wt), and Sage (389SLT, 490LL, 590LL, and 790RP).

IMO Sage LL series rods are keepers, just like the Winston IM6 and WT, (and the "good" cane rods).

Get them, enjoy using them, pass them down in your will to your loved ones.

grousechaser

Post by grousechaser » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:18 pm

So here is my connection to the Sage 389 LL rod. In 1983 I bought the rod from Dave McNeese when his company was building the Sage Blanks. It was just a great medium action rod that I fell in love with. My friend Bucky Sterns loved it as well and I built a rod for him after obtaining a 389 blank. He fished that rod often but not as often as his favorite Leonard Golden Shadow. When I was taking my son down the East Branch of the Delaware in a canoe I had the rod propped up in the back of the canoe and well you know where this is going. After a mile on the river I tragically noticed the rod (and Hardy Featherweight) were gone. After three attempts at retracing the canoe journey without finding my beloved rod,I finally accepted my fate.
Years later when Bucky decided that he would no longer fish at Debruce, he gifted his 389 back to me. I didn't actually get it until he passed. This particular rod will always be in my quiver and yes, the Sage 389- 2 piece LL is the best rod. It will always be with my Scott G rods and their medium actions.

andre

Post by andre » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 pm

Give me the old Sage SP with the swelled butt. Great rod but sold it finance more bamboo. Not only a great casting rod but beautifull to look at if you’re into swelled butts.😇