Anyone fishing fiberglass?

Graphite or Fiberglass
ibookje

Anyone fishing fiberglass?

Post by ibookje »

Anyone fishing with fiberglass, vintage or modern, here?
What's your rod you use for fishing (Catskill) dry flies?
I love the smooth action fiberglass.

I have several:
* Barclay 723
* Livingston 863
* Epic 580
* Steffen 835

Waiting for my vintage Winston Stalker (7.5ft #4) to arrive soon.

BrownBear

Re: Anyone fishing fiberglass?

Post by BrownBear »

Far out of the Catskill dry fly realm, I recently pulled out two Fenwick 12-wt glass rods and loaded them into the boat for a tarpon jaunt. Purely for nostalgia.... Never hooked any, but got a couple of shots with one of them. Then the wind came up and "nostalgia" turned into nightmare. Love the feel of those rods, but not on windy days. I'm still intent on landing a tarpon on each for old times' sake. Pic's at 5 if I manage to do so! :)

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Yeah windy, like really windy, days might be not the best conditions for the delicate fiberglass rods.
However, most rods still have a powerful butt section that can kick in if you apply the casting stroke 'from down' rather than 'off the tip'.

redietz

Post by redietz »

I have several that I fish somewhat regularly:

7 1/2' Browning Silaflex 5/6 weight - my "go to" bluegills. Bought it new in the early 70's for the princely sum of $19. I've caught small steelhead on it, among other things.

7 1/2' Orvis Superfine Glass 4 weight. Just used it yesterday for rainbows in a small, stocked stream. I fish it on the same sort of streams where I might otherwise fish a SB 290 cane rod.

8' Berkley Para-Metric 6 weight --- I fish it where I might otherwise fish a Pezon et Michel Fario Club -- mostly wets with a long cast involved, but also light smallmouth fishing.

7 1/2 Heddon Pal -- rated "HDH" -- One of far too many 7 1/2 rods I own, that I rotate through

I can't say that I fish dries with any of them, except as a change of pace -- I vastly prefer cane for that purpose.
Bob

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

ibookje wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:54 pm
However, most rods still have a powerful butt section that can kick in if you apply the casting stroke 'from down' rather than 'off the tip'.
Oh yeah. Sorry for the further diversion from lighter rods and dry flies, but distance is still plenty possible with these great old glass rods. But "hooking" casts to get just the right angle to approaching tarpon is key. I just could not generate enough line speed into the wind while also bending or hooking the end of the cast accurately. I was reaching the fish, but not "presenting" right.

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

BB, I guess fishing with rods rather than 'machines' (current graphite craze) makes it all more fun and romantic.
It's called fishing and not catching :D

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

ibookje wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:50 am
BB, I guess fishing with rods rather than 'machines' (current graphite craze) makes it all more fun and romantic.
It's called fishing and not catching :D
Actually it turns into spectating rather than fishing. I'm more fisherman than spectator.

chase-da-dog

Post by chase-da-dog »

I love my glass rods.
Barclay 64p
Barclay 75p
Barclay 7105
Selle 7'6" 3/4
Phillipson epoxite 6'6"
And a handful of CGR's

gadabout

Post by gadabout »

I still do. For Catskills dries, my favorite glass rod is a 7-1/2’ -4wt Lamiglas that I built some years ago when the blanks were available in the “flamed cane” color. Another rod that I really enjoy is my Shakespeare 848 Wonderod. It’s a 6wt that I use quite a bit, especially in the early season. Another favorite is my old Orvis 8’-7wt Fullflex A. It’s the rod that I learned to fly fish on. Nowadays, I only use it for warmwater fishing.

corlay

Post by corlay »

I fish a lot of fiberglass.

For (catskill) dry fly fishing,
I really like a Thomas & Thomas 'Heirloom' 7'6" 3/1 #4;
that I built custom from a factory blank.

I fish fiberglass exclusively for brookie hunting, right now
(have a few replica bamboo blanks ready to build: Thomas Fairy and Leonard 38ACM)
In this class of short (7' or less) and light (4wt and less),
it's had to find a better rod material than fiberglass.
The Japanese really specialize in fiberglass of these specs.
I fish:
Mike McFarland 6'3" 3/1 #3 (my custom build on Mike's yellow blank)
Tiemco 'Bushmaster' 6'6" 3/1 #4
Tiemco 'Bushmaster' 5'9" 3/1 #3
Larry Kenney 7'3" 3/1 #3

Except when targeting brookies on small streams,
I don't fish dry flies much on larger waters - unless I see actively feeding fish on top.
I swing wet flies most of the time, and use fiberglass a lot for this, also.
But I do have a handful of bamboo I really like also.
Picked up a pre-1908 Leonard 9' with butternut seat a few years ago,
that I just adore fishing wets with.