Catskill Research rods

Graphite or Fiberglass
catskilljohn

Catskill Research rods

Post by catskilljohn »

Anyone have any information of these? I am pretty sure they don't have any real connection to the Catskills, rather Cortland had them made years ago in Japan? Just wondering, anything anyone knows is appreciated. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

gt05254

Re: Catskill Research rods

Post by gt05254 »

Well, now, it just so happens that I'm looking at one right now, along with its reel. Selling for a friend that has a stash of them which came from his friend, the maker, in Japan. It's a very nice, 9'6" 5/6 wt, and the reel does look very much like a CFO and is well-made. They are made in Japan, and have no marking whatsoever relating to Cortland.
Gary

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

Looks the same as what I have here...just no reference to Cortland whatsoever.
Gary

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Jay, I did some looking around and found some of the information you are posting here...but you have more of it! Thanks for that.

Reason I was asking is, I almost bought one on the auction site years ago, didn't know anything about them but the Catskill name certainly caught my attention. It went for over 2 bills back then and I sort of kicked myself later when I held one at Floyd Franke's house not long after.

Floyd said they were good rods, and I always considered him an excellent judge of casting tools.

I found one and its cheap enough...I will let you guys have a look when it arrives. Thanks for your thoughts, CJ

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Very excited when I got home to see the rod arrived. The tube is really old school, brass cap and crinkle finish on the tube. Took some pictures before the sun went behind the trees...

This rod is really beautiful, the blue blank is about as pretty as blue can be on a fly rod, and the red wraps look great. Its very light, as I would expect a small light line rod would be, and the cork grip and seat contributes to that. The cap and ring are aluminum, and fortunately the reel I was planning on using with it is the only one I own that fits! A little Islander IR1.

They used a ceramic tip top, its extremely tiny as is the stripping guide that matches. Spigot ferrule, I was unaware of that and I don't recall seeing it on Floyde's rod though it was already assembled when I used it way back then so I could have forgot.

I lined it up with a DT 3wt and its a real joy...I have just the place in mind where I will use it :D . CJ

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Its only the second time I have seen one! Going to be a good summer time small stream rod, let you know when I use it. CJ

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

nice rod CJ.. a copy of what Floyd Franke got.. My understanding, they are one of rods that use for the fly casting school here. then something happen to the batch of rods. Not sure how the story goes.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

the wolf88 wrote:My understanding, they are one of rods that use for the fly casting school here. then something happen to the batch of rods. Not sure how the story goes.
I don't know the whole story but I know where a few of them are... CJ

Castaline

Post by Castaline »

Very attractive rod! I love that ceramic tip top... unusual in such a light rod. Nice find.

The Novice Returns

Post by The Novice Returns »

Hi John,

There's a Catskill Research reel on sale at ebay with this additional information:

"This is a new, unused Catskill Research fly reel. It’s a 5–6 weight capacity reel with either left or right hand retrieve. They are sturdy and very dependable. I’ve used mine for years and never had any issues. It weighs 3 5/8 ounces and is 3” across by 1 1/8” wide. It was made by UFM UEDA Co. Ltd, Japan. The reel is made from one piece machine cut. It comes in the original cloth reel zipper pouch. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me 48 hours before the auction is over. New York State residents please add 7% sales tax. No returns please."

Pictures of the Catskill Research reels here. They look nice.
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... =4&t=18347

If you scroll down the fiberglass flyrod forum, it appears that there was a connection between Catskill Research and Cortland, read the blurb from Hoagy Carmichael jr., of all people!
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich