thinking about purchasing a bamboo rod

Any and everything bamboo...
catskilljohn

Re: thinking about purchasing a bamboo rod

Post by catskilljohn »

Eperous wrote: It's almost November, come January The Fly Fishing Show is held in Somerset, NJ... every year, there are several rod makers there... PLUS Carmine Lisella of Jordon-Mills Rod Co and Bob Selb from PA... both have websites, both have lots of used rods... something to thing about...
This would be my suggestion too. You can really get a good idea of what feels good to you if your waving it in the air, and many will let you cast them on the indoor man made lake they have there. Selb is a really good guy and he has a bunch of rods there every year. As Ed mentioned, you may want to peruse his website too, http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/PRE_OWNED_RODS.htm always changing as he moves a lot of stuff but he is both fair and well known as an honest dealer. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Gene

Post by Gene »

Thanks CJ, great link, lots of good stuff there.
Gene

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Gene ~ Here's another potential source for you: http://fly-fishing.blacksdirectories.co ... om_index=Y

Wayne has been in this business since 1968 and he has an extensive inventory to compliment his knowledge.

Crepuscular

Post by Crepuscular »

Gene, the post from Clark's about the Recker 8013 was mine. I'd be happy to discuss the rod. I don't know where you are located but you are welcome to cast the rod if you would like.

Eric

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gene, you likely don't want anymore direction but just in case...Jim Bresko has been fair and straight with me and has a nice selection of used rods. Plus he'll give you an honest assessment if you talk with him. Not pushy at all and if you don't like a particular rod he'll gladly take it back.

Hit the first link to classic fly rods then "new/used".

Careful... :lol:

http://www.coldwatercollectibles.com/classics.html

HookI

Post by HookI »

Eperous wrote:
Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 pm
Late to this show, but...

I like Dickerson tapers as suggested above, even thought about an 8013 myself... since you owned a cane rod before, than you know that they "feel" much different than graphite... much slower, though I feel the Dickerson taper--- and Garrison tapers--- are faster action, for bamboo, based on rods that I have waggled... nonetheless, I would recommend you touch a few different bamboo rods before buying anything sight unseen...

It's almost November, come January The Fly Fishing Show is held in Somerset, NJ... every year, there are several rod makers there... PLUS Carmine Lisella of Jordon-Mills Rod Co and Bob Selb from PA... both have websites, both have lots of used rods... something to thing about...

You might want to check out cane rods by Art Weiler, from PA... I have a few of his rods--- new & used--- and love them... he's known for his Garrison tapers, but also does Dickerson and others...

Finally, one very bias comment on my part... I'm about your age--- 66--- and over the years have owned cane rods by: Orvis, Leonard, Winston, GH Howells, AJ Thramer, Art Weiler, Heddon, Wright & McGill Granger, HI, Cortland, private builders, and English rods... some classics among, some bargains also... having said that, IF, I could only own ONE BAMBOO rod, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be a used Orvis Battenkill... no doubt... probably an 8 foot... 95% of my fishing is done in the Catskills... wets, dries, nymphs, streamers... April 1st through sometime in December, I'm fishing... a used Battenkill (1980s and before) is my cane rod of choice... as I said, my bias opinion, but I have played with, and broken lots of cane in my day...

Good luck, the hunt and research--- I think--- is the best part of your journey...

Ed
Even you coming in late is never a pass of good knowledge. Thanks
If it has fins I want to catch it .