First Bamboo Rod

Any and everything bamboo...
narcodog

Re: First Bamboo Rod

Post by narcodog »

northcountryman wrote:Bob;

So your saying that the graphite would give you some extra muscle to "punch" your fly into the wind when necessary and would be more effective than bamboo. What about this: say you're invited to go fishing on a driftboat on the Delaware where you'll be fishing primarily dries for rising 'bows and browns 50-80' but no more? You would most certainly be using graphite then right?

Thanks,

NCMan
I have heard, just that,that there are some guides won't let their clients fish cane from their drift boat.

redietz

Post by redietz »

northcountryman wrote:Bob;

So your saying that the graphite would give you some extra muscle to "punch" your fly into the wind when necessary and would be more effective than bamboo. What about this: say you're invited to go fishing on a driftboat on the Delaware where you'll be fishing primarily dries for rising 'bows and browns 50-80' but no more? You would most certainly be using graphite then right?
Almost certainly. (Not that I can actually hook a fish on a dry at those distances :) ) Like I've said, I have some cane rods that would do that, but they're a lot heavier than a graphite rod would be.
Bob

bigborebob

Post by bigborebob »

How about impregnated vs not today?
Is it true the modern varnishes do not require builders to impregnate their rods today?
Rods to be fished should be impregnated?
Comments?
"Ain't no right way to do the wrong thing"

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

bigborebob wrote:How about impregnated vs not today?
Is it true the modern varnishes do not require builders to impregnate their rods today?
Comments?
I have both types and find the impreganted rods tend to be heavier... I think Orvis is one of the few cane rod makers that impregnate their bamboo, now or ever.... Leonard had a series of rods - Duracane - they made to compete with Orvis Battenkills, but I think the Duracane was thought of as a "low-end" Leonard.... I tend to fish my Orvis Battenkills - impregnated - early and late season when I'm chucking lead and fishing weighted nymphs... these rods normally do not take a set, from weight... when I'm fishing mostly dry flies - or wets and small streamers, but not weight - then I fish the varnish rods, which tend to be nicer to fish/flex... that's my view of impregnation... I don't think of the finish so much as the internal structure of the cane...

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

bigborebob wrote:How about impregnated vs not today?
Comments?
As Ed points out, Orvis is the best known purveyor of impregnated rods, but they were also made by Phillipson (until the 70s, I believe) and by Sharpes of Aberdeen, and by Constable in the UK. Sharpes provided blanks to Leonard for a while for their Duracane line as well as to Cortland. Among current makers, Mark Brooks builds and sells either finished rods or blanks of impregnated (or varnished) bamboo, and I believe there are a few other makers building impregnated rods. Originally, the Phillipson and Orvis blanks were impregnated with Bakelite, current models use some other chemistry as Bakelite was determined to be a carcinogen, I believe.

IMO, impregnation was never needed as a durability agent as there are lots of varnished rods well over 70 years old that are still in use today. What it did was make the rods less susceptible to water damage, if the rod were neglected, and less inclined (but not immune from) to take a set from either fishing or abuse. Obviously, impregnated rods don't need to be revarnished.

As to fishing preference, there are those who love impregnated rods, those who don't care one way or the other, and those who eschew them. Each group has its reasons for its attitude. For the record, as a certified bamboo "nut," of the 8 bamboo rods I own, three are impregnated, so I guess I'm in the middle group -- except to say that I fish my varnished rods much more.

Hope this helps.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

bigborebob

Post by bigborebob »

Next question - rods style or shapes? I believe there are a few to choose from - quad, penta,hexa, epta, octa, maybe up to 13 sides and a different pentalux ?
Like most other options, there are sublte reasons for each, but to begin with, there must be a middle of the road agreed upon shape for classic trout water?

Yes the recent comments do help.
As I stated before, my work can take me far from home where it's nearly impossible to visit a fly/rod shop, trout stream, etc.
So I'm trying to use this time away from home gathering as much info as possible.
"Ain't no right way to do the wrong thing"

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

bigborebob wrote:Next question - rods style or shapes? I believe there are a few to choose from - quad, penta,hexa, epta, octa, maybe up to 13 sides and a different pentalux ?
Like most other options, there are sublte reasons for each, but to begin with, there must be a middle of the road agreed upon shape for classic trout water?

Yes the recent comments do help.
As I stated before, my work can take me far from home where it's nearly impossible to visit a fly/rod shop, trout stream, etc.
So I'm trying to use this time away from home gathering as much info as possible.
I'll preface all of this with the statement, "This is my opinion."

Unless you have some compelling reason for wanting to try a penta or a quad, I'd stick with a hex design. After you've played around with one or with several of them, you may want to try one of the others. One reason is the hex is more forgiving to alternate gripping styles than the other two, and as to the others, IMO once it gets to more than six strips, we're talkin' about some off-the-wall stuff.

Options you may wish to consider through trial and error are grip length and shape and reel seat design (up or down lock, slide band or screw lock) and whether you want a agate stripping guide (very nice and kinda retro), color and types of wraps (plain or tipped, transluscent or opaque), as well as natural or flamed cane.

So many options . . . it's the reason why one is never enough. :lol:

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I thought about some other "stuff" while out there on a slow day, on high Catskill water...

Recently I read Jordan The Rodmaker, a great read IMHO... it discusses impregnating bamboo, and Wes Jordan's contribution to that... the book goes on to say that Jordan did this "to treat the pith of bamboo that would make it denser and provide better support for the power fibers." I'm betting there were other reasons also, but an Index is lacking in this book - and this is what I stumbled upon first...

I don't mean to imply impregnated Battenkills won't take a set, they can and do... but using a lob cast approach, like I do fishing weight, I've never had an issue... my cousin's Battenkill on the other hand has the shape of a question mark as he fishes salt-water sinkers.... :oops:

Regarding varnish rods, I'll throw out a few other names... I like Art Weiler from PA and AJ Thramer from the west coast, and have some of their creations... Weiler is known for his Garrison tapers, Thramer does a mighty fine job on many well known classic tapers... both have websites.... Myself, I set an upper limit of $1000 tops per any rod, maybe $1500, but that prices me out of some better known builders... after all, bamboo rod building is a labor intense, work of love - some builders have long waiting lists.... if they don't take your $, someone else is standing behind you to offer theirs... Weiler and Thramer fall into the $ figure I impose upon myself.... From my own experiences, I find Garrison and Dickerson tapers, fast... not very far removed from graphite.... John Pickard might be best known for his Dickerson taper, and I have one of those also - love it... In my limited collection of new varnished rods, I like rods built by modern day builders based upon classic tapers....

As a suggestion, you might want to contact Bob Selb, and also Carmine Lisella of the Jordan Rod Company... both sell used, and some new cane rods... Carmine is an agent for Thramer.... Selb has a website, Carmine only does catalogs... I've dealt with both - always pleased, though more business with Carmine... both of these guys normally attend regional shows in the Catskills, tri-state+ area... if you think you see a rod that you might be interested in, call and ask them to bring it to the show so you can cast it....

So much to consider, and it's only money - which you can't take with you.... and your hiers are waiting to spend...

All of this probably only muddies the cane waters for you.... :? :shock: But, it's great talking about.... 8-)

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

I'd get the Ronbo BF-35----
Follow me on Twitter

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

There are so many rods, so many good ones too, your going to want to cast some before you commit to anything. The best advise I could give you, go to one of the shows and get your hands on some. I dont think its a question of who's rod as much as what rod thats going to please you. All of the guys mentioned are excellent, and there are alot of others, but even the best makers can put together a rod that you dont enjoy casting. [although Rob Smith of Pentalux doesn't make one I dont love :D ]

One of the nicest little rods I ever cast was a Tonkin Prince, and you could have 7 or 8 of them for what one rod would cost from a known maker. But thats just me, you may not like it. Thats the point, you have to find one that suits you.

I love cane, really love it, but I would be the first to admit if I had to swing one all day that I didn't really enjoy I would just as well have a plastic stick to fish with. But when you have the right one...nothing feels better. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"