Favorite 8 foot taper

Any and everything bamboo...
Eperous

Favorite 8 foot taper

Post by Eperous »

Folks - I know this site isn't Clarks Classic Rod Forum, but there seems to be lots of interest in "grass rods" - just looking at the stats for this site... And, specifically a lot of interest/mention in the 50DF taper... :D While I never cast a real Leonard 50DF myself, I have flexed a few clones... That said, my favoite by far was a rod belonging to a very good Bud of mine from Maryland - Sweetpea - and his AJ Thramer hollow-built, flamed 50DF - sweet, heaven on earth to use.... That said, I also own a Thramer 50DF, not flamed, not hollow-built, nor the same rod by any stretch - very nice, but not the same.... :(

So here's my question to the populist at large... what's your favorite 8 foot cane rod taper? :?:

I have two...

First, by far, is my Thramer Payne 102... it is "my dry fly rod"... in fact - though this board is probably rated PG - casting it is like having sex while fly fishing :o :shock: :oops: , it's that sweet... :D :D

Choice number two is an Art Weiler Garrison 212... fast action, this rod will do anything I ask of it....

Both of those pieces of bamboo are 5 weights....

Next - if allowed to suggest a #3 - would be a 60 year old Battenkill, a 6 weight, that has seen some mighty fine Catskill trout in its day, not to mention what it might have done for other owners... :P

Coming up the rear is my 50DF - and that's not to say it's a bad rod.... cane rods are kind of like good women - I'm going to pay for this sexist comment, not enough to go around and we all have our individual tastes... :roll:

Long story, short - what's your favorite 8 foot taper?

Ed,
Lost among the tonkin cane :lol:

dennis

Re: Favorite 8 foot taper

Post by dennis »

Ed - To tell ya the truth I don't know shit from yellow clay when it comes to bamboo.

I do want to own a couple Leonard's some day. Not originals but tapers from a well known Catskill rod maker.

Dennis

redietz

Post by redietz »

The only 8 foot cane rod I own is one that I won in a raffle. It is an unknown taper, built on a Chinese blank, and I don't think much of it.

If you'd asked what taper I like best in other lengths, I'd have a hard time deciding. It depends on my mood on any given day. A taper I may love for wet flies may not be very good for dries, and vice versa.

Fortunately, I don't have to choose.
Bob

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Easy. #1 is my 8' Thramer 2/2 Signature Hollowbuilt 4-weight fitted with a Hardy Cascapedia 2-3-4. FWIW, I have only cast one rod that I would consider close to its equal, and that one was offered at more than twice what I paid for the Thramer. It was not "twice" the rod either visually or performance-wise. #2 is also a Thramer, a 3/2 8' 5-weight semi-parabolic action built on his dx taper paired with a Hardy Cascapedia 5-6-7. Totally different rods, but both delightful tools for casting, fishing and fighting fish.

Eric
Last edited by ewpeper on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

corlay

Post by corlay »

I own 3 8' bamboo rods.
"favorite" will be hard to qualify, unless I speak in specifics.

Considering 8' DT5wt. rods:

My W+M GA8040 is definitely my favorite rod for dry fly fishing.
It's simply wonderful, delicate, and smooth in this regard.
Medium-progressive taper.
Also, very light in hand, and not tiresome to make false casts with at all.
I've tried it with multiple wet fly rigs and it's just "ok". But the rod is aces when fishing dries.

For fishing multiple fly rigs sub-surface,
I really enjoy my D.Menscer parabolic.
Full-flexing and powerful, it's a complete joy to swing wets with this rod.
Also a roll-casting dream, for when I get sick of overhead casting.

Lastly, like you, I own an old Orvis 4-3/8oz.
This rod I use whenever I'm fishing extremely fast/high water, or in windy conditions.
A very nice "all-rounder" DT6wt, with a pleasant "medium" action.

the 50DF is indeed a fabled taper, especially for our Catskill waters.
For me, knowing that I strongly prefer medium to medium slow tapers,
I suspect I would warm up to the standard model 50 in lieu of the 50DF.
This taper is on my list to have a builder make me a blank that I can build out myself - someday.

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

I have only 1 8 footer which is the panye taper 102 5 wt which the blank made by ronbo.. a nice smooth casting rod. the main get to rod is my 7'6" panye 189 4 wt made by Doug Borer which cast sweet!!. the least use rod which is John Gallis 6'9" 5wt which primary for small creek fishing. finally got an old timer rod which is 7 4/5 wt footer princess HI rod. that thing really cast nice.
Soon I will have Ronbo to make a 8 foot garrsion rod like the he made last summer boofest.and will be 4 wt class.

socal

Post by socal »

I have several that come to mind,have built them all,and do not manage to keep them around for some reason(friends etc,)1 F.E.Thomas wet fly special,2. Cattanach 8' 4wt, 3. Garrison 212E,and 4. a Dickerson 8014. Haven't met a bamboo rod I wouldn't fish yet,and hope I never do. Oh, by the way, a Nunley 8' 6wt.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

I've just gotta back off my position stated 6/23/11 above. Since then I have acquired a Granger 8040, and while it has only been lawn cast so far, I suspect it may take over the #1 position. I have four 8-footers now; two 4-wgts and two 5-wgts, and while I still love my Thramer Hollowbuilt, that Granger is awfully nice. Interestingly, both rods seem to prefer the Sci Anglers GPX DT4 taper more than a straight 4-weight.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

corlay

Post by corlay »

Eric,

"Granger Fever" has certainly taken hold, eh? <g>

The 8040 is the best of the lot, IMO - at least for eastern dry fly fishing.
(I like mine best with a Cortland Sylk dt5...)

Have you gotten ahold of a 7633, yet?

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Ohhh man, thats a tough one. One thing we get to do every year is spend 3 days casting every conceivable bamboo stick at the Rodmakers Gathering in September. I love alot of rods, but I think the one that suits me best is Rob Smith's penta 5wt. Part quad, part 6strip, that thing is smooth as glass, and tough as nails. Cast it short- cast it long and everything in the middle, its like having an 8ft arm, it does the thinking for you.

He makes a bunch of tapers, and every one is nice.

My favorite thats mine? That model 50 by far.

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"