Paul H. Young Database: One Thousand Rods Listed!

Any and everything bamboo...
quashnet

Paul H. Young Database: One Thousand Rods Listed!

Post by quashnet »

Over one thousand rods are now listed in the Paul H. Young Database, about eight years after I began the database with a group of eighty rods, listed based on descriptions from old Martin Keane catalogs plus the rods I owned. Many of the listings since then have come thanks to many anglers, and friends of angling, who contacted me whenever they heard about another Young rod. Among other benefits, I've had the pleasure of speaking about Paul H. Young at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum in 2008 when PHY was inducted into the Hall of Fame, and at the 2014 Catskill Rod Gathering. Check the PHY Database whenever you have an interest in learning more about the legacy and accomplishments of Paul H. Young. Thanks.

Paul H. Young roll casting his beloved "Parabolic 15"

At the 2014 Catskill Rod gathering, Fred Kretchman casts a "Parabolic 15" built by PHY in October 1954
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

ewpeper

Re: Paul H. Young Database: One Thousand Rods Listed!

Post by ewpeper »

Congratulations Robert and thank you for all you do for us bamboo nuts in sharing both your personal knowledge and that which you have acquired in your "Quest.".

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Crepuscular

Post by Crepuscular »

I'll second Eric's comments. Thank you for your work! You have provided an amazing resource.

E

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

Congratulations! I think I have an idea of how much work and time this project has taken you, and the fly fishers of the world that have an interest in the history of the sport owe you big time. Nicely done.
Gary

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

With a new year comes a new banner photo for the Paul H. Young Rod Database. The pictured rod is the one seen above, being cast by Fred Kretchman at the Catskill Rod Gathering. It is a Para 15 "Keller Deluxe" built with three tips (two parabolic tips and one dry fly tip) in October 1954 for Robert P. Terrill, a Stanford-educated PhD economist who at the time held the position of Counselor of Embassy at the US Embassy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

Beautiful rod for the new banner! I enjoy hearing information about the previous owner(s) of a rod. Whether that person is an economist or a laborer, the stories of the people who have fished and cared for the rod before us adds to the romanticism of bamboo.

I apologize for being so late in saying this, but the presentation you mentioned earlier in this thread on PHY that you did for the 2014 Catskill Gathering was excellent. I seem to recall that you toughed out that presentation while just getting over a bout with food poisoning.

-Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

HookI

Post by HookI »

Does the reel matched to this beauty of a rod have any significance ? as in balance or status .
Please remember I 'm learning here .
If it has fins I want to catch it .