Anybody fishing

Vance

Anybody fishing

Post by Vance »

Good morning, Just a quick note. Is anybody going fishing in NYS or Jersey? I like reading about people fishing and some of the funny things that happen such as the trees move to catch your fly in the branches. I will be going out this coming Tuesday on the South Branch in Jersey and will be fishing the B’kill and Willo in May around the 21st. for a few days. Then back the first week in June. I drive a 2020 Red Rouge with Jersey plates so if anyone wants to say hello feel free. I generally fish the kill sections even though I do not keep any thing. It just seems there are less people then the no kill sections. I will probably be at the bridge above Painters bend which I call the Wall Hole as it goes right up against old 17. Well stop by say hello and we can shoot the breeze. I will be wearing a camouflage shirt and a floppy hat which I dyed Khaki bad job of dying the hat. Bill Vance aka Bill the mailman

northcountryman

Re: Anybody fishing

Post by northcountryman »

Hey Bill , I live in Suffern - I’m sure you know where that is , right ?
If you’re nearby and want to try to hook up, lmk.

David ( NCMan )

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi Ncountryman, My brother in law was from Suffern. He died in the early 2000. His last name was Salemo. My daughter lives in Saddle River. I was born in Ridgewood,NJ after HS moved to Mahwah. Was a mailman for 10 plus years in Ramsey. Will be in Saddle River in early May and will let you know the dates Would be very happy to hook up. My email is whv1937@comcast.net. Bill the mailman. Bill Vance.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Hey Bill "the Mailman", this response is 4 U!

Since April 1st I've been fishing, mostly in the Catskills but once in NJ... it's been slow, at least for me... a couple Garden State wild browns, a nice Neversink wild brown, and two days with several brook trout on tiny Catskill tribs... else, slow and steady, mostly one'z and two'z, working hard for them...

Our youngest daughter and her crew are in, visiting from MA... with two young grandchildren we haven't seen in over a year, due to Covid.... so I've been staying close to home, to play with grandkids, the greatest gift God ever gave mankind... but today the weather took a turn for the worst, with rain, storms, and snow in the forecast in some Catskill places... so my wife arranged a craft day at home for the grandies, and told me that I could fish a bit....

Here's my angling log entry from this morning...

April 21st – Esopus Creek: Our youngest daughter, and her crew, are still visiting, however, today’s weather forecast called for rain and possible strong thunderstorms. Thus, Lois planned a “craft day” with the grandchildren, telling me that I could fish in the morning if I wanted to. How could I refuse that offer?

Early arriving at DEP’s Chimney Hole/ART parking lot I found it devoid of other vehicles and all human life, while several white-tailed deer mulled about. Soon enough I found the Esopus holding a nice flow and good color, but R.I.P. dead. I had hoped clouds and sporadic showers would spur on bugs and feeding trout. I never saw a bug and never observed a rise, and the Esopus to myself.

Thus for 3¼ hours I swung a #10 black Conehead Woolly Bugger with a #14 Pheasant Tail dropper eighteen inches above it. Before quitting at 11 AM I managed but one hit, encountered one hungry--- or clueless--- 10” wild brown trout, else nothing more.

As Robert Traver--- aka John D. Voelker--- correctly noted in Anatomy of a Fisherman, “Some men will only fish when the moon is full, others when it’s empty, and still others only in between. But sun, moon, fog, mist, time, tide and crashing barometers are all alike to the real gone fisherman. In his secret heart he still knows that the best time to go fishing is wen he can get away.”

So that’s it.

Ed

E-Cd-ART bridge.JPG
E-Cd-ART bridge.JPG (88.35 KiB) Viewed 662 times
E-Cd-10 in CNWG br.JPG
E-Cd-10 in CNWG br.JPG (115.67 KiB) Viewed 662 times

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi Ed, Aren’t grandkids great. Don’t forget spoil the heck out of them then give them back to there parents. I have six grand kids three boys three girls. Now they range in age from 22 down to 9. Hope some day to see you fishing either in NY or NJ. How much snow did you get? Bill

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Vance wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:36 pm
Hi Ed, Aren’t grandkids great. Don’t forget spoil the heck out of them then give them back to there parents. I have six grand kids three boys three girls. Now they range in age from 22 down to 9. Hope some day to see you fishing either in NY or NJ. How much snow did you get? Bill
Ten grandchildren Bill... 26 to 2 years old... mostly a basketball team of rough-and-tumble "all boys" with a few cheerleaders on both ends of this parade, not to be sexist in my comment... as oldest (26)--- granddaughter--- is quite the flyfisher...

This is she fishing the West Branch Ausable last October... NYS DEC used this photo in some of their 2021 Trout Stream Management materials... her, and her Dad--- our oldest son--- already spent one "fishless day and angling night" on the Esopus watershed earlier this season, and she can't wait to hit it again...

WBA-Taylor n Brendon.JPG
WBA-Taylor n Brendon.JPG (194.07 KiB) Viewed 636 times
E-BK-K-Three generations.JPG
E-BK-K-Three generations.JPG (248.14 KiB) Viewed 636 times

Only snow flurries here, but dipped into 20s last night and now sitting at 32...

... probably not too many bugs or rising trout today.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ed

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Great pics of You and your family Ed; thanks for sharing :D