March 1st bows

Vance

Re: March 1st bows

Post by Vance » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi Ed, I know what you mean about a cane rod. My wife bought an Orvis Madison 71/2 ft. It was 51 years ago for our first anniversary and I still use it to this day. There is something about a cane rod that just brings back all of the old memories. Bill Vance

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:48 pm

tie2fish wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:06 am
Speaking of the "don't injure the fish" crew, I have a gripe about "hip" fishermen who use 2 and 3 wt rods with 7X tippet in waters that hold large trout.
Light rods and lines are fine (preferred) where the trout don't get much over 12", but if you hook and play a big fish to the net with that kind of gear, by the time you get it in, it has exhausted all of the reserve energy it needs to recover.

I have watched such folks take five minutes or more to subdue a fish on the Delaware West Branch and Beaverkill, and then seen the fish floating downstream belly up even after admirable attempts to revive it. Not cool ... :cry:
Bill
That’s a great point you bring to light, the likes of which I never understood.
Dana
“Time to go fishing”

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 pm

tie2fish wrote:
Speaking of the "don't injure the fish" crew, I have a gripe about "hip" fishermen who use 2 and 3 wt rods with 7X tippet in waters that hold large trout.
Light rods and lines are fine (preferred) where the trout don't get much over 12", but if you hook and play a big fish to the net with that kind of gear, by the time you get it in, it has exhausted all of the reserve energy it needs to recover.

I have watched such folks take five minutes or more to subdue a fish on the Delaware West Branch and Beaverkill, and then seen the fish floating downstream belly up even after admirable attempts to revive it. Not cool ... :cry:
You just used the word 'hip' in a sentence; that's awesome. I don't think I'm old enough to have used it in conversation before it was consigned to the graveyard of slang along with 'groovy', 'boss', and 'bitchin''. Keep on chooglin', brother!

redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:37 pm

St.Froid wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 pm

You just used the word 'hip' in a sentence; that's awesome. I don't think I'm old enough to have used it in conversation before it was consigned to the graveyard of slang along with 'groovy', 'boss', and 'bitchin''. Keep on chooglin', brother!
I hear the word the word (and especially it's derivative "hipster") all the time, and not just by boomers. Millennials seem to use it to describe anyone with a beard.
Bob

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 pm

St.Froid wrote:
tie2fish wrote:
FARRRR OUT 😎✌️

Gene

Post by Gene » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 pm

The same can be said for the guy using a 5 wt rod with 4x. I've seen guys with that set up taking 20 min to land a big fish worried about losing it. It's not about the rod or the tippett it's about how the person knows how to use it.

Gene

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Gene wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 pm
The same can be said for the guy using a 5 wt rod with 4x. I've seen guys with that set up taking 20 min to land a big fish worried about losing it. It's not about the rod or the tippett it's about how the person knows how to use it.

Gene
Truth.

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:51 pm

redietz wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:37 pm
St.Froid wrote:

I hear the word the word (and especially it's derivative "hipster") all the time, and not just by boomers. Millennials seem to use it to describe anyone with a beard.
I feel like a man without a generation of my own. Born in the last year of the Boomer era, minutes before the onset of Gen X... I don't speak the language of either. My parents are reformed hippies so I get to hear really cool stories of nudist camps and fondue parties. Unfortunately, neither can relate to the fly fishing vibe that I'm puttin' down...

andre

Post by andre » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 pm

As a “yout”...I would use words like wow, far out, bitchin balling and my favorite line yo, my man do me a solid... today I just dear a lot.

andre

Post by andre » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 pm

As a “yout”...I would use words like wow, far out, bitchin, balling lame...and my favorite line yo, my man, do me a solid... today I just swear a lot.