Who's fishing...

Eperous

Who's fishing...

Post by Eperous »

So who's fishing? :?:

Sadly area roads through the mountains heading west from the Esopus Creek river valley are closed still, as are some roads heading east towards the Schoharie Creek river valley... :cry: And most local streams are blown out and brown... :cry: :cry:

But, where there's a will, there's a way... ;)

Haven't fished in two weeks now and driving my wife nuts, per feedback I'm getting... so today I grabbed that old Battenkill of mine and wet some flies - weighted nymphs to be more specific -- a Prince and Flashback Hare's Ears... creeks are up... but did find some water and a few cooperative trout...

Here's an Irene survivor, a wild brown, that took the Prince:

And here's a little wild bow that took the Hare's Ear:

I caught a few more, all wild fish that looked healthy and fought hard... let's hope better days are ahead, and soon...

Ed

mikevalla

Re: Who's fishing...

Post by mikevalla »

..going out tomorrow---tribs
Follow me on Twitter

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

only clear water i've seen lately is from my sink.

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

Chocolate water is running out of the bottom of Neversink Dam, due to all the suspend silt from the storms. Plus it's overspilling and the gauge is around 500 cfs, so that's about 300 too high for fishing (and safe wading, for me at least). The upper Neversink looks like a war zone in places, with roads washed out, new channels gouged out, banks collapsed, big trees down, mud and sand everywhere, some houses damaged. And the water is still high and dirty. My heart goes out to the people of Claryville. This is by far the biggest flood I've heard of up there, but there have been others in the past couple years that did damage as well. Seems like we're in a nasty cycle/pattern of flood and drought in the Catskills and beyond.

After running the dog and scouting for grouse (which have been awful scarce) I headed over to the Willow last night.

The lower Willow is a bit high and stained, but the upper is running clear. I picked up a couple stockie browns and a few 8-10" brookies on dries just at dark. Didn't feel like fishing nymphs/wets. Just a few caddis about (including one October caddis I saw, like a #10) and a few Cahills. Was hoping to see some ISOs.

Have no idea when the lower Neversink will be fishable again... my guess is it will take up to a couple weeks before it clears and drops.

-Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Bamboo&Brookies wrote:Chocolate water is running out of the bottom of Neversink Dam, due to all the suspend silt from the storms. Plus it's overspilling and the gauge is around 500 cfs, so that's about 300 too high for fishing (and safe wading, for me at least). The upper Neversink looks like a war zone in places, with roads washed out, new channels gouged out, banks collapsed, big trees down, mud and sand everywhere, some houses damaged. And the water is still high and dirty. My heart goes out to the people of Claryville. This is by far the biggest flood I've heard of up there, but there have been others in the past couple years that did damage as well. Seems like we're in a nasty cycle/pattern of flood and drought in the Catskills and beyond.

After running the dog and scouting for grouse (which have been awful scarce) I headed over to the Willow last night.

The lower Willow is a bit high and stained, but the upper is running clear. I picked up a couple stockie browns and a few 8-10" brookies on dries just at dark. Didn't feel like fishing nymphs/wets. Just a few caddis about (including one October caddis I saw, like a #10) and a few Cahills. Was hoping to see some ISOs.

Have no idea when the lower Neversink will be fishable again... my guess is it will take up to a couple weeks before it clears and drops.

-Rob
Rob... I fished the lower Neversink several days ago, it was blood red as you mention, could not see more than 3"-4" down into the water... wading a few spots I know, water wasn't too high - but color was terrible.... spent 2 hours there slinging a big Black Woolly Bugger in the mud - ZIP... on the way home, I decided to fish/explore Cecil Heacox's Rondout Creek BELOW the City's reservoir... I picked up a few small browns there, probably left over hatchery fish... would really like to visit the upper Neversink but no way to get there from here, roads are washed out with folks working hard to rebuild them... I doubt the Oliverea road to Slide Mountain will be done before winter...

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Sorry I missed your call Rob.

I hope to get out this weekend for one little trip, last weekend was blown out! Sunday was looking like it might be ok, and then it rained again. The Willow killed the Museum pond, looks like a sandbar on the near side. Good for casting though. I took a ride over to my little stream and it was looking good, but I didn't walk it at all so who knows what I will find Saturday.

The damage is beyond comprehention in so many areas, it makes me feel sick. I didn't see one Iso in the 3 days I was there, they are probably hatching in Philadelphia this week. I did see 1 october caddis, Jim Krul ate it [dont ask... that family has a taste for the unusual] but other than that no bugs. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

We were gone for several days on a shortened trip to SNP, and returning home we learned that some 7"+ of rain fell on the back side of the Ashokan, while 6"+ fell in Phoenicia on Wednesday, the night we got home... sad, very sad... :cry: Well, I'm not one - at least I don't think - to cry in my spilt milk, thus today I searched a bit of the eastern Catskills for a place to wet some flies... I found one and caught several wild browns, plus a single brook trout, in high water, with more rain in the immediate forecast...

Here's an 11.3" brown that took my deep running Black Conehead Woolly Bugger, fished dead drift as a nymph...

The 2011 NYS trout season is winding down in most places; from my prespective 2011 was the worst trout season in many years... that said, let's keep fishing as hope burns eternal, and as Paul Quinnett wrote in Pavlov's Trout, "Fishing is hope experienced."

Ed

Eperous

I still am

Post by Eperous »

NYS trout season closes in most places in four days... :cry: YIKES!!!!! :o

Yet, we just had a great stretch of weather, much too nice to sit home...

Here's a Catskill trib set in autumn foliage I wandered today...

And here's just one of its wild boys, caught and released, an eleven inch Prince Nymph brown...

Yesterday my wife and I went for a hike and we ended up here a couple miles later... caught a few small, dark wild brook trout hanging around this place...

What the heck are we going to do when the season closes and snow startes flying??? :?

Tie flies and snow shoe I guess, but for now - let's fish till they chase us off the creeks... ;)

Ed

Beaverkill

Post by Beaverkill »

The Beamoc is about as crystal clear as I have ever seen it...Lots of rainbows in the river but noticed a lack of brown trout...I am theorizing that the high water pushed them in tribs to spawn a little earlier than usual...Maybe it was last weekend but has anyone else noticed the same on the beaverkill the last week? I will see what this weekend brings to the net.....
Dan Ansbach

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Beaverkill wrote:The Beamoc is about as crystal clear as I have ever seen it...Lots of rainbows in the river but noticed a lack of brown trout...I am theorizing that the high water pushed them in tribs to spawn a little earlier than usual...Maybe it was last weekend but has anyone else noticed the same on the beaverkill the last week? I will see what this weekend brings to the net.....
I don't know about the Beaverkill, but yesterday I caught two nice wild browns - 11"-12" - in an Esopus Creek tributary in the exact same small run... I'm not surprised these fish were there, probably high water like you say... but I was surprised that this particular run held two nice fish... it looked like a place I've seen wild trout spawn before and am guessing that the browns are getting ready to reproduce...

Once trout season shuts down on 10/16, I'll be heading over Roscoe way and help you check this out... :)

Ed