Catskill brook trout waters...

Eperous

Catskill brook trout waters...

Post by Eperous »

My wife's out this eve, so I was sitting here killing some time and decided to do this post for our friend from the Green Mountain State--- Ed Pirie in Vermont...

Ed, all the photos below are of Catskill brook trout waters... places I've fished throughout these mountains, all different seasons... none of these are posted, other than by NYS...
bt1.JPG
bt1.JPG (360.45 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt2.JPG
bt2.JPG (341.06 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt3.JPG
bt3.JPG (347.97 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt4.JPG
bt4.JPG (349.59 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt5.jpg
bt5.jpg (353.81 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt6.JPG
bt6.JPG (282.96 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt7.JPG
bt7.JPG (381.57 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt8.JPG
bt8.JPG (382.77 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
bt9.JPG
bt9.JPG (291.75 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
... a favorite pool...
bt10-favorite  pool.JPG
bt10-favorite pool.JPG (335.66 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
... a special place, The Brook Trout Hole...
bt11- the Brook Trout Hole.JPG
bt11- the Brook Trout Hole.JPG (243.48 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
I hope you enjoyed taking this trip with me... :D

... only wish I could remember how to get back... :roll:

Ed

dennis

Re: Catskill brook trout waters...

Post by dennis »

This is why I enjoy this wonderful site.

Thanks, Ed

Ed Pirie

Post by Ed Pirie »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for posting your pictures. Your brooks look just like any of the brooks I am used to fishing, not the same pools of course, but the setting looks like home to me. I have often wondered when I have seen pictures posted of what looked like the brooks I frequent, and out comes a brown or a rainbow. I would find these in the main rivers here, but never in our brooks. Now, I am speaking for the northern half of the state, and not down south. I had not given the water temperature factor any consideration before. The scenes lulled me too much into thinking I was fishing a brook around here.

Now, there are some tributaries that will have spawning browns and rainbows finding there way upstream, but as a rule, these streams remain brooktrout waters. In the dead of summer when some of our rivers have warmed up or are running low, the brooks are where you will still find good flows and water temps. But, you can expect to be catching brook trout, and not browns or rainbows in these small brooks.

I love looking at all your pictures and can find myself easily walking into these scenes and being very content. I had not thought about the water temp factor before, but this explains the browns and rainbows finding suitable habitat in some of your small brooks. In the Catskill area, it must be close to our climate, at least in the mountains. I know the Adirondacks are very much like here, only often much better fishing.

Thanks,
Ed

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Truly beautiful photos. Thank you for making a glum winter's day more bearable.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Folks thanks for the kind words and comments... as soon as I posted this last evening, my wife walked in--- home from her meeting... she looked these over and asked me to print two photos for her to paint, so I guess we're all winners on this one...

Ed, about half the photos I posted are pure brook trout waters... the other half hold varying degrees of wild browns, from slim to 50%... none of these streams are stocked, all are home to wild trout only... water temperature is a big factor, plus water chemistry... also, are there any natural barriers below these points to prevent browns and rainbows from migrating upstream, pushing out/overtaking the wild brook trout populations... most of the trout are probably small with 6" a nice fish, over 9" a good fish, and 12" or better a real trophy... that said, you never know what you might hook if one is stealthy... over the years I've been surprised a few times and learned to take nothing for granted...

More than that, I love these environs...

Ed

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

Ed there's a lot to love there even if the trout aren't cooperating all of the time.

Regards, Jerry

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Ed, those are so beautiful... I could just imagine you standing along side any one of those brook trout streams dangling a beadhead nymph on a Tenkara rod. :lol:

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

wiFlyFisher wrote:I could just imagine you standing along side any one of those brook trout streams dangling a beadhead nymph on a Tenkara rod. :lol:
Oh boy... :roll: :o :? John, I think you're taking lessons from Valla... :|

Ed

turk

Post by turk »

Beautiful water Ed. Makes me want to travel along some of our brooks but the roads (dirt) are a sheet of ice at the moment. Lamenting through your neet pictures will have to do for now. THANKS! :D
Regards
Turk

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

Your pictures make me feel like I could walk right on into the scene, Ed!!

Spring fever city for the kid!!! :roll:

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen