Weekend report 6/14-15

catskilljohn

Weekend report 6/14-15

Post by catskilljohn »

Fathers day weekend! Maybe not the fishing weekend some had hoped for with high flows and off colored water, but the weather was great and if you looked real hard you can find a stream where the rains didn't stir things up too much. I got up very early Saturday and headed way up the mountain to one such stream, a gorgeous place where the water looked high but not too much discoloration and at 55* just right for trouting. No place for dry flies, this stream was almost entirely white water, and I felt my age while traversing this rugged place. The fishing however was unbelievable. Its almost like on this fathers day weekend the trout gods lift away all troutish inhibitions to allow the father angler to enjoy his pastime completely. Enjoy it I did, the fishing, the family and even a short stay at the Frost mansion to hang with the Catskill regulars!

Using a stonefly pattern I have been developing on the last few trips, an awful thing with a giant bead that weighs just slightly less than the 9ft rod I cast it with, its got rubber, lead and brass, vinyl rib and synthetic dubbing, and it is a genuine trout magnet ! Sinks fast, has just the right amount of movement and I can whip one up in 3 minutes. Thankfully Joe stocks the hooks for these things, cause I have burned up 3 packs of them so far.

Here are a few shots...

A chunky little devil from the fast water, first trout of the day...

These 2 were caught back to back in 2 casts...

One of the bigger browns from Saturday...

This guy was in one of the few places the water wasn't white...

Sorry for the blurry photo, I chased this fish side to side across the stream and nearly drowned twice doing it :lol:

The pattern that made it happen...

A waterfall shot on the way upstream...

Saturday afternoon I took that long ride to Loomis Brook Rd to see the boys, Ron had things all set up with a fresh stocking of Goldens, Brookies and Rainbows in the pond, and a report from Turk that the small stream fishing was doing well, he got a handful of browns from Loomis Brook.

Here is a shot of the guys in Frost mansion...though I could only stay a short time it was great to hang with the Catskill crew during Boo-Fest. Thanks Ron for having me!

I got a new camera for fathers day too, no more crappy photos from now on...I hope! :lol: CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Ronbo

Re: Weekend report 6/14-15

Post by Ronbo »

Nice report John, it was great you had a chance to come on up. But i got to say we had one Motley crew this weekend LOL.
It was grreat getting everyone together for a fun weekend. Got some interesting video to follow stay tuned. :lol:

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies »

Another great report, thanks CJ!

You really put the wood -- I mean graphite -- to 'em.

Better patent that stone nymph of yours -- when word gets out you can make a mint on them!

'The CJ Slammer!'

Looks like a good time up at Ronnie's too... need to make space for it on the calendar next year.

-Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

reservoirman

Post by reservoirman »

Beautiful mess of trout,and great pictures.Like that barbless hook. Stan

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

reservoirman wrote: Like that barbless hook.
Dohiku, the "S" series. Man are those things sharp, durable and resist snagging the bottom with the slightly turned up point. The most positive attribute though is the holding ability. I feel like I have seriously reduced the number of bounced fish when using these. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Really some good looking browns CJ... ;) very chunky, good enough to feed a couple mountain lions I'd say... :o :shock: :? :roll:

Ed

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

catskilljohn wrote:
Dohiku, the "S" series. Man are those things sharp, durable and resist snagging the bottom with the slightly turned up point. The most positive attribute though is the holding ability. I feel like I have seriously reduced the number of bounced fish when using these. CJ
I hate the cost of the Dohikus (I use the 301 and 302.), but I keep buying 'em because I haven't found anything better. The Partridge SLD is close for dries, but I still prefer the Dohiku.

But those beads . . . did you run out of salmon eggs. :D

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

ewpeper wrote:
catskilljohn wrote: But those beads . . . did you run out of salmon eggs. :D

Eric
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet those salmon eggs would work on the HF too!

quadfish

Post by quadfish »

CJ, great report!!! Wish you could have stayed longer at BooFest, great seeing you as always!!

The CJ Slammer, it's got a good ring to it! :D :D :D

I have a video from Sunday night. I will attempt an upload over night. You will see what you missed, although the 75 foot casts were pretty darn impressive Saturday night!

-Rick :D
"A man who would fool a fish with a feather would probably go to a brothel without carryng any money." Charles Dannen

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

nice catches.. and doing away with the standard beanhead now :shock: hahaha.. ah you using sage rod.. wonder what model is that?.