january trout

ted patlen

january trout

Post by ted patlen »

well, the ponds have been open and fruitful. Brookies, not the wild ones but god sized fish, averaging 12" have been active midday. A smallish leech fished with many pauses has been taken pretty regularly and today i spotted about 1/2 dozen picking off midges from the surface...slow fishng but fruitful.

It would be nice if the ponds don't freeze over.

yo

SgtMajUSMC

Re: january trout

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Fishing the kettle ponds is a lot of fun, Teddy.
We used to have a ball tubing them. There are some really nice trout in them. I wonder if they still put the brood stock salmon in some of them?
Have fun out there!

Best,

Tim

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

yo sarge,

yes in some of the lakes but they are rarely heard of. landlocks are rather frequent in some ponds and some of those fish may possibly be brood stock, jut identified in-correctly. i just found out that a pond, really a big lake near me has northern pike...this i gotta investigate!

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Yo Ted,

Fished for the 2nd time myself this January... I wish I had access to unfrozen trout ponds like you, but I don't.... things are icing up around us... caught a couple bows today fishing a very short line, leader only, nymphing...

Here's one--- on ice, before its release--- that ate a Martinez Black weighted nymph...
Martinez Black bow on ice.JPG
Martinez Black bow on ice.JPG (294.75 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Ed

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

The wind is backing northeast off the ocean, and I doubt there will be any fishing this weekend. So today I put in the time and caught my first trout of 2016.

Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

quasnet, it was nne today but the brookies were still active huge heads vs smallish bodies...ace of spades black.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

ed...the pond i've been fsihing isn't stocked with anyrhing but brookies...or so i have been told...

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

ted patlen wrote:quasnet, it was nne today but the brookies were still active huge heads vs smallish bodies...ace of spades black.
Hey Ted...I've noticed that too once on a small brookie that I caught in a Catskill stream...smallish body, big head. Any significance to that? Unique strain? Or does it just mean smallish body, big head ;)
Don't take it for granite, it's a gneiss day.

redietz

Post by redietz »

TheIndian wrote: Hey Ted...I've noticed that too once on a small brookie that I caught in a Catskill stream...smallish body, big head. Any significance to that? Unique strain? Or does it just mean smallish body, big head ;)
It usually means the fish is starving. Its head grows at a constant rate, the body grows according to how well feed it is.
Bob

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

Ahhh...makes sense.
Thanks redietz.
Don't take it for granite, it's a gneiss day.