Beaverkill

Eperous

Beaverkill

Post by Eperous »

With "my Esopus" justifiably closed to angling due to extremely low water conditions and spawning brown trout, I wandered west through the Catskills today to fish the Beaverkill... it was cold early on, and there was skim ice along the river's edge... however, I wore wool pants and long-johns under my waders... :|

I love fishing this time of year, the rivers are never crowded :P ... it's not for the faint of heart, nor casual angler... :shock: however, for someone intent on flyfishing, some good angling can still be had... :D ;)

Here's the skim ice... :(
B1-skim ice.JPG
B1-skim ice.JPG (246.28 KiB) Viewed 928 times
A few trout would eventually rise, mostly eluding me :oops:, though I did hook/lose one of them... :cry: :oops: :cry:

Soon enough, persistence prevailed and here's a 19 inch brown I caught, worth all my efforts today...
B2-19 inch brown.JPG
B2-19 inch brown.JPG (460.02 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Remember this, you cannot catch trout unless you're fishing in water somewhere... ;) time of year is totally irrelevant, IMO...

Ed

ted patlen

Re: Beaverkill

Post by ted patlen »

yeah ed! cold water fishing is great the lakes up here are alive with midges great sport...

Gene

Post by Gene »

Nice Ed, the Beaverkill is still my favorite river.

Gene

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz »

Great fish, Ed!

Joe

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Gene wrote:Nice Ed, the Beaverkill is still my favorite river.

Gene
Me too. I've often said if God had made a trout stream to use as a model for all others, he'd have made the Beaverkill. And I still eel that way even tho I haven't set foot in those lovely waters in about 25 years.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Gene

Post by Gene »

Eric, the river hasn't change that much, with the exception of Horse Brook Run, probably the most noticeable. As far as I'm concerned it still has the most consistent hatches. It probably gets the least fishing pressure than most of the catskill rivers these days.

Gene

reservoirman

Post by reservoirman »

Boy it looks like the Beaverkill could use a big gulp of water.

Gene

Post by Gene »

Every river and resevoir in the northeast needs quite a bit of rain or snow melt this year.