Groundhogs

Eperous

Groundhogs

Post by Eperous »

... so who cares if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow or not... :? I don't, I got out on this first day of February and observed lots of Little Black Stoneflies all about snow covered rocks...
Groundhog-stoneflies.JPG
Groundhog-stoneflies.JPG (183.43 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Groundhog-Little Black Stonefly.JPG
Groundhog-Little Black Stonefly.JPG (127.12 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
I even managed to dredge up a couple wild rainbows from the snowy pocket water plunge pools...
Groundhog-brook.JPG
Groundhog-brook.JPG (599.09 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Groundhog-bow.JPG
Groundhog-bow.JPG (537.24 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
... so who cares about groundhogs, unless you're a fly tyer and your name is Eric Leiser... I'm all about bugs and wild trout... ;)

Ed

Jerry G

Re: Groundhogs

Post by Jerry G »

Careful there Ed. Since finding the Llama fly I've come to rather admire the groundhog. ;) Oh by the way, thanks for the heads-up on those stoneflies.
Regards, Jerry

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Jerry G wrote:Careful there Ed. Since finding the Llama fly I've come to rather admire the groundhog. ;) Oh by the way, thanks for the heads-up on those stoneflies.
Regards, Jerry
Jerry, I have to admit that I never fished, nor tied a Llama... but below is one tied by Eric Leiser...
Llama tied by Eric Leiser.JPG
Llama tied by Eric Leiser.JPG (285.2 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
... and since TODAY is "Groundhog Day" , I tied Eric's Chuck Caddis for the occasion, a pattern that I used to tie and fish quite a bit :D , but no more... :(
Chuck Caddis, #14 Mustad 94840 (1).JPG
Chuck Caddis, #14 Mustad 94840 (1).JPG (303.04 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
... just too many patterns to tie and I fall into too many times to keep replacing rusty flies... :oops: as I recall, I believe I first learned of Leiser's Chuck Caddis about the same time I learned of Leonard Wright's Fluttering, or Mink Tail, Caddis which I took a favor too... don't even use these anymore, mostly only an X-Caddis with a CDC & Elk once in a while... that said, I recall many a fine Adirondack outing fishing the Chuck Caddis... ;)

Ed

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G »

Right you are Ed, just too many flies. Had it not been for an article a friend of mine wrote and shared with me several years ago about the Llama I may have never found need to give them a try. Even then it was years after reading the article that I tied a few and gave them a try.

Tie them sparse were the instructions. I see your Eric Leiser tide Llama was sparse as well. The few I see tied now days have far more guard hair in the wing and under fir than what was originally called for. That's not to say they aren't a good looking fly or that they still won't take some fish. Rather like so often happens something gets lost over time.

I have to wonder if some thought the eyes were a must have and with that thought the fly too time consuming to bother with? I guess I did as well but found the fly fished fine without the eyes. I have to say though the eyes do get my attention when I take the time to put them on.

I enjoy staying with the traditional old materials on most of my ties and as long as they get me a fish now and then, I'm happy. I'm not sure where Mr. Leiser got the Llama pattern from. As for my friend it was shown to him by a Menomenee Indian named Miles Tourtillout. Miles stated that he found the pattern in a old English fishing book.

Well it sounds like that ground hog predicted another six weeks of winter. Plenty of time to get some Llama's tied up. :lol:

Regards, Jerry

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Just checked Fly Tying Materials, and I quote:

"It was introduced to me by a tier in Wisconsin, Ray Benedict. He said the fly was described in an old, out of print, English fly-tying book, and that locally it was tied by one of the native Indians."

I wonder if that Indian was Miles?

Anyway, tied a few up last night with a guy I am showing ow to tie, in honor of Groudhog Day. Haven't fished it in years, but I think it will make its' way back into the rotation this spring.

Rich

reservoirman

Post by reservoirman »

I found it coincidental that theres a picture of a llama in todays post I've got most of my flies tied for the spring and was looking at tying up a few streamers I have a pretty fair sized piece of woodchuck and tied up a few of Erics llama Its a pretty interesting fly and your limited to the size of the guard hairs on the chuck Its a pretty fishy looking fly I'm painting the eyes on them now Has anyone ever fished with this pattern? Stan

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

squish67 wrote:Just checked Fly Tying Materials, and I quote: "It was introduced to me by a tier in Wisconsin, Ray Benedict. He said the fly was described in an old, out of print, English fly-tying book, and that locally it was tied by one of the native Indians."
Yes, Rich... regarding the Llama I read that myself on page 129... In Mike Valla's book, The Founding Flies, Mike wrote this about Leiser and his feelings towards woodchuck, "… it is the most desirable piece of fly tying material I own, other than basic rooster necks."

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Eperous wrote:
squish67 wrote:Just checked Fly Tying Materials, and I quote: "It was introduced to me by a tier in Wisconsin, Ray Benedict. He said the fly was described in an old, out of print, English fly-tying book, and that locally it was tied by one of the native Indians."
Yes, Rich... regarding the Llama I read that myself on page 129... In Mike Valla's book, The Founding Flies, Mike wrote this about Leiser and his feelings towards woodchuck, "… it is the most desirable piece of fly tying material I own, other than basic rooster necks."

Ed
Yes, Ed, I covered Eric Leiser's love for woodchuck in both The Founding Flies (and in Tying the Founding Flies). Thanks for mentioning.

Eric conveyed to me during more than one phone call discussion (back in 2006-2007) that he was very proud of bringing woodchuck above the radar for use in fly tying some of his favorite patterns. And, in particular, he was very proud to bring the Llama to tiers first in his June/July 1973 Fly Fisherman mag story titled "Tying the Llama and Why." Eric said he first got his hands on the pattern from Ray Benedict from Wisconsin---who praised the fly as a fish-getter on the Wolf River. But as I also wrote he credited Miles Tourellot, a Menominee Indian for origination the fly. However, it was Leiser who really popularized the pattern. I consider it his signature tie.

During one of our discussions he lamented that he was unable to get his hands on woodchuck, since the time he moved to Florida. He was counting on a "kid" from NY to send him pelts.

>The other thing about the Llama, as Eric conveyed, is that it can be tied using a variety of floss shades--yellow to black to the usual red. And it can be tied with gold or silver tinsel. Eric strongly conveyed that the fluffy underfur is an extremely important part of the wing. It musn't be tied using only guard hairs.
Follow me on Twitter