Dialing in to the right retrieve

Largemouth, Smallmouth, Panfish, Pickerel, and all other warm water fishing.
northcountryman

Dialing in to the right retrieve

Post by northcountryman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:38 pm

So I’ve been fishing the bass/ pickerel pond again and have been noticing that although my catch rate has been fairly consistent with largemouth( using primarily wormflies and topwaters) I hadn’t caught any pickerel for a few weeks until this weekend, when I caught 2 the same day. I noticed that in both cases , I was trolling a fly, very steadily with split shot. However, when casting with the same rig, I elicited no interest. Conclusion? My feeling is that with the hot weather and bright sun, the pickerel were deep and would only strike if/ when the fly was presented deep enough and with a steady retrieve , almost like a reel in retrieve similar to a spin fisherman. When casting and retrieving with strips, the fly tends to rise up in the water column and although I was clearly subsurface, the strips would raise the fly in the water column which worked against the presentation under these conditions. Also, for whatever the reason, they seemed to prefer the steady reel retrieve, even striking a worm fly in that manner cuz it was trolled in a manner making it appear like a steadily swimming baitfish! What do you think?

Thanks

David

BrownBear

Re: Dialing in to the right retrieve

Post by BrownBear » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 pm

northcountryman wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:38 pm
...steady retrieve....
Try the good old fashioned hand-twist retrieve, my favorite for slow and steady retrieves. For retrieves faster than I can twist my hand, I shove the rod up into the armpit of my "non-casting" arm, then reach under the rod to do a hand-over-hand retrieve with both hands. Great for fast retrieves, but less so for slow retrieves. Of course, it requires a "line set" to set the hook when you get a strike.

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am

I did but it’s not fast enough for them now I don’t think although it is steady

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:42 am

northcountryman wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am
I did but it’s not fast enough for them now I don’t think although it is steady
Try the underhand bit with the rod in your armpit. You can go as fast as you want and it's really smooth. Might feel a little awkward the first cast, but you'll come around quickly. On the strike, set the hook by pulling sharply on the line, then reach up with your usual rod hand to grab it. Pretty flawless and pretty standard for really fast retrieves for barracuda and other saltwater species.

Halliday

Post by Halliday » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm

northcountryman wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:38 pm
So I’ve been fishing the bass/ pickerel pond again and have been noticing that although my catch rate has been fairly consistent with largemouth( using primarily wormflies and topwaters) I hadn’t caught any pickerel for a few weeks until this weekend, when I caught 2 the same day. I noticed that in both cases , I was trolling a fly, very steadily with split shot. However, when casting with the same rig, I elicited no interest. Conclusion? My feeling is that with the hot weather and bright sun, the pickerel were deep and would only strike if/ when the fly was presented deep enough and with a steady retrieve , almost like a reel in retrieve similar to a spin fisherman. When casting and retrieving with strips, the fly tends to rise up in the water column and although I was clearly subsurface, the strips would raise the fly in the water column which worked against the presentation under these conditions. Also, for whatever the reason, they seemed to prefer the steady reel retrieve, even striking a worm fly in that manner cuz it was trolled in a manner making it appear like a steadily swimming baitfish! What do you think?

Thanks

David
Head over to the pond at about 2300 and try it again. I bet you'll get some hit from the pickerel.