Redfin Pickerel

Largemouth, Smallmouth, Panfish, Pickerel, and all other warm water fishing.
quashnet

Redfin Pickerel

Post by quashnet »

July is almost here, and due to lack of rain and warming temperatures the native brook trout in a little stream I like to fish have fled the scene.
Quite a few Redfin Pickerel (Esox americanus americanus) have taken up residence in the pools.
They don't get much bigger than this in the little stream.

A few years ago I caught a whopper that must have measured all of eight inches.
It served as the model for my Redfin Pickerel painting in The Inland Fishes of Rhode Island.

Illustration is copyright 2013 Rhode Island Dept. of Environmental Management

Even a 6'3" PHY Midge fly rod is overdoing it for catching Redfin Pickerel.

Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

reservoirman

Re: Redfin Pickerel

Post by reservoirman »

That's a beautiful painting,I too this time of year turn my flyfishing to warmwater species here in Eastern Ct.How big do they get.I think that's what I catch in some of the streams in the state forest I fish in. You never catch any big ones always about that size. Stan

quashnet

Post by quashnet »

In twelve years of fisheries surveys in Rhode Island (the scientific database behind The Inland Fishes of Rhode Island), the largest Redfin Pickerel taken was about 11 inches, which is really exceptionally large for New England. They are widespread in Rhode Island, and so I suppose the same is true of eastern Connecticut. My impression is that they are more likely to be found in sluggish-flow streams than in ponds, which are more likely to hold Chain Pickerel, so Redfins are probably what you are catching in the state forest waters. They are a beautiful little fish, but because of the small size I bet that many anglers do not take notice of them.
Please visit and bookmark the NEW Paul H. Young Rod Database at phydatabase.com

reservoirman

Post by reservoirman »

We always thought they were chain pickerel.The stream is Mt. Misery in the Pachaug state forest. Slow moving stream that had a good population of native brook trout.Every once and again youd catch one of them small pickerel.I'm gonna look a little closer the next time I catch one. Stan

gadabout

Post by gadabout »

Just found this old thread. They are a handsome little fish. One of the trout rivers here on Long Island has them in the lower reaches. It’s the only place I’ve ever caught them.

Redfin
Redfin
64417A04-50DF-4F10-8C1F-E1169E1A1099.jpeg (90.43 KiB) Viewed 1134 times

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz »

When I was a kid, my aunt and uncle owned a cabin in Hurleyville. It was before I'd discovered fly fishing. I'd go across the road to a little brook and throw a floating Rapala that the little redfin pickerel would go crazy over. They'd hit it even though they weren't much bigger than it was, say 3". Good memories.

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman »

Cool !! They’re like miniature Pickerel for sure ! Never seen one-thanks for pics. Can you catch them in NY?

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz »

Can you catch them in NY?
Yes. https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/94588.html