Sally Hansen hard as nails

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

Sally Hansen hard as nails

Post by Eperous » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:13 pm

I'm curious how many folks use invisible Sally Hansen Hard as Nails on split jungle cock for streamer patterns? If not this, what then... or, do you mortgage the house to purchase top grade JC? :oops: :roll: :? :P

Ed

tie2fish

Re: Sally Hansen hard as nails

Post by tie2fish » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:51 am

I get better results with a rubber based cement like Flexament (used to be Dave's, now Umpqua). Also use that cement for gluing the wing/cheek/nail components together.

SgtMajUSMC

Post by SgtMajUSMC » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:24 am

Hi Ed,

I don't get too carried away with "repairing" split jc eyes. As Bill said, sometimes I'll put a dab of Dave's Flexament on the back side, and then let them dry on a piece of waxed paper...sometimes I just tie them in as is.

I learned how to glue up the wing components for classic streamers by watching Mike Martinek, Jr. at United Fly Tyer meetings back in the early 90's. He'd assemble them and glue them up with thickened Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails-the stuff that was left in the bottom of the bottles, too thick to make a smooth head. I've also found that flattening the stems with a pair of smooth jawed pliers makes the wing assemblies easier to tie in. Mike used to really twist and move the feather assemblies around to seat them right when he was tying.

I use the same technique for tying my Gartside Pheasant and Furnace pattern, glueing up and flattening several sets of tailwings prior to a tying session. This works for Deceivers, or any other pattern with a hackle wing.

Best,

Tim

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:20 am

you can also try regular lacquer, and the new uv finishes work well too.
split jc works as well as unspilt...

those huge nails that are pretty useless work well if you take one and split it down the middle lengthwise. make two suable jc from one.

redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:55 am

ted patlen wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:20 am
split jc works as well as unspilt...
Bingo. If I'm tying a fly that I intend to fish why bother? On those rare occasions where I'm tying just to look pretty, I'll look for a nail that isn't split.
Bob

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:05 am

i took a class with Peggy Brenner on Carrie Stevens style flies and she uses Aleene's Fabric Fusion. It has a longer working time and stays flexible. Also it doesn't have a strong odor, thins with water, which has to be done very seldom, and is water proof. Available at Walmart.

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Sally Hansen works fine. I just bought some UV nail polish to try also. The flies i fish i usually don't use anything also. :D

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Ed
I use “Pliobond”, only on the reverse side. It the old standby, and works fantastic.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Done, done, and done... ;)

Thanks all... Sally worked just fine for me, but lots of good ideas/feedback here... :D

Ed

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:13 am

........... but I do use Sally Hansen’s as had cement ! :D
“Time to go fishing”