So what are you tying now?

Anything fly tying...
Vance

Re: So what are you tying now?

Post by Vance »

Bearbutt, Maybe I will start tying earlier this year then Feb. I still have some fighting gamecock necks from the 80’s. They have the stiffest hackle from any hackle that you buy in a store. A friend of mine use to fight them but gave it up in the latter part of the 80’s. I would get the losers and it would take me all day to strip them down wash them and then borax them to get all of the fat and blood off of them. But the finished product was a great neck for tying. I had ginger in different shades and what they called greys was a very light ginger for tying Lt. Cahill. Boy I cannot believe how time flies. Here it is 2020 and I am talking about the 80’s. I just wished I lived closer to a stream to fish on the warm winter days. It is going up to the high fifties or low sixties today and tomorrow. Every body have a great day. Bill the mailman

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Vance wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:43 am
I still have some fighting gamecock necks from the 80’s. They have the stiffest hackle from any hackle that you buy in a store. A friend of mine use to fight them but gave it up in the latter part of the 80’s. I would get the losers and it would take me all day to strip them down wash them and then borax them to get all of the fat and blood off of them. But the finished product was a great neck for tying. I had ginger in different shades and what they called greys was a very light ginger for tying Lt. Cahill. Boy I cannot believe how time flies. Here it is 2020 and I am talking about the 80’s.
LOL--that goes for a lot of us, I'll bet!

The necks you got sound great--can you post a photo of them? I'd love to see them! Especially if you could show some splayed hackle held up to light so we can see how the webbing is spread through the hackle.

I've started tying a variation of the Coffin fly bomber--adding some dark brown to the calf tail wing, so it has a more variegated appearance--which is typical for Coffin flies. The strange thing is it's what I call a three-day fly: I only get three days to fish it every year, assuming I hit the Green Drake hatch right. There's the pre-hatch day, when a few stragglers from down river fly upstream; there's the day of the hatch; and there's the day after, and then it's all over. On the Ausable, the palmered hackle (like Fran Betters' Ausable Bomber) really helps--Fran tied an orange-bodied version, I'll post some photos later). Here's the latest Coffins:

bb

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert »

Knocked Down Duns - This pattern imitates hatching mayflies getting blown onto the water on windy days. They look like spinner but the wings are opaque, like the duns and tied slightly elevated. The flies in the top photo have Zelon wings that are dark dun but they appear much lighter in the pic. Bottom pic are tied with EP Trigger Fibers and CDC. It's a very effective pattern on the Delaware on those typical windy spring days.

IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 727 times
IMG_3575.jpg
IMG_3575.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 727 times

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Trigger Point fibers are good stuff!

Snow & ice made me start to work since I can't go fishing until after the rivers all flood for Christmas. Good melting three days straight, nice and slow, like it should be. Hope the Christmas Eve flood will be much milder with a lot less snow remaining for the rain to melt.

Caddis this morning tan & Shad Fly patterns I refer to as the TPX. Trigger point in "caddis western gray dark" and "Apple green".
TPX Shads & Tans.JPG
TPX Shads & Tans.JPG (93.52 KiB) Viewed 604 times
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Nice ties, guys--. Like Matt, I;ve been getting my paws into CDC lately--a variant of the IOBO tied as an emerger in size 14 and 16:

Keep them coming!

bb

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

CDC Caddis

#12 2xl 1xf
various body's
CDC wing w/2 Krystal flash each side
cdccaddis.jpg
cdccaddis.jpg (73.51 KiB) Viewed 440 times

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Mr. Don--these look great--can you tell us about the different colored thread heads--what is your basis for the thread coloration?

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don »

bearbutt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:47 pm
Mr. Don--these look great--can you tell us about the different colored thread heads--what is your basis for the thread coloration?
Hoping they will work as a sorta mini hot spot. Plus it's what was loaded in my bobbins. :oops:

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Do these count? :twisted:
Attachments
Jigz
Jigz
F06CFDA6-183D-406B-A5A0-1CF9F35D5976.jpeg (476.98 KiB) Viewed 180 times
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Theroe wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:50 am
Do these count?

No. Christmas is all over, we will discuss Christmas tree ornaments next December--this is a thread for fishing flies.

bb