Wings

Anything fly tying...
catskilljohn

Wings

Post by catskilljohn »

I have been working on getting that curved wing look with wood duck on my dry flies. I swung by Kuttners Saturday afternoon and we were sitting at his little outdoor table with the umbrella up and he went through it again with me.

He likes using 2 feathers which utilizes the natural tendency to have a chiseled look when properly tyed on. I have been using 1 select feather, with even fibers on both sides [or close to even] and making the wings as Cross describes, cutting slips and stacking them. The problem with the 1 feather method is, it is very difficult to find wood duck flank with perfectly even left and right sides. Usually one side is real nice, and the other not as much. This turns out to have 1 wing with a nice curve and the other wing almost straight. Not a big deal, Frank said, but reading between the lines... not up to his standards either :lol: .

I got home and turned out a half dozen, here are a few, Red Quill, Quill Gordon and a Ginger Quill.

I am going to be a little more critical of material selection from now on [like everyone has been telling me to be from day 1!] and will keep hammering away at these wings! CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

the wolf88

Re: Wings

Post by the wolf88 »

nice ties.. ever thought of using what Walt Dette been doing for years?.. I think I mention it to you I am not sure.. let me know...

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

CJ,

Very nice ties, indeed... ;) I'll take a half dozen of each myself... :D

Ed

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Nice, John...tie a gross..you have all the time in the world now....(winter will be here soon!)
Follow me on Twitter

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Nice Johnny,
I use the cross technic also as I run into the same problem with the wood duck. also if I don't use 2 slips my wings come out very thin.
Good job, see you next weekend. :D

fishamidge

Post by fishamidge »

CJ,

I like to use 2 feathers works better for me...I tried 1 feather & 1 1/2 feathers

seems like 2 works the best for me and gives me the look I want...

the extra fibers from the feathers I use for tails....

the stuff used for wing when tied on and cut leaves a triangle piece I use for wing cases (no waste)

woodduck is not cheap, but you can make it go a long way. The feather that keeps giving :lol:

Jimmy

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

CJ, those are beautiful!

How about I will be your Midwest field tester? Send me a half dozen of each and next Spring I will send you a detailed report with photos. :D Oh, also I will be happy to field test any cane you build this winter too! :)

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

wiFlyFisher wrote:CJ, those are beautiful!

How about I will be your Midwest field tester? Send me a half dozen of each and next Spring I will send you a detailed report with photos. :D Oh, also I will be happy to field test any cane you build this winter too! :)

Me too, friends... :D I'll sign up for the eastern Catskills.... ;)

willowhead

Post by willowhead »

Beautiful tyes John.....i musta heard 20 different opinions over the years bout Catskill style dry fly winging.........i still say Brandt "Knows" and does them as well as anyone.....give him a shout. ;) He's notoriously terrible when it comes to email though. :lol:

Snowmass Angler

Post by Snowmass Angler »

Whoa. That picture is awesome. Check out the shadows!! They're perfect! Bravo!