Special Dubbing

Anything fly tying...
drlogik

Re: Special Dubbing

Post by drlogik »

Robin at Nistock Farm (www.nistockfarms.com) has that magic Tups wool we desire. If you tell her it's for tying flies and you need that magic scrotum wool, she'll hook you up with the real deal. The caution is that you will need to wash it but she includes instructions on how to do that.

Believe me guys, this stuff is not for the feint of heart and you'll want to do it outside with the oldest, nastiest pot you have. It really is some funky looking fur......
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Allan,

You may not remember but you sent me a sample of your sub years ago....I was just looking at it yesterday, as I was cleaning the fly tying cave and came across it with your March brown suggestion.

Going to revisit this soon, I’ll let you know👍🏻 CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Hmmm..sounds like it comes still attached to the pig privates! Always made me wonder if the truth behind using that material \was actually a joke...or if long ago someone's mom caught them out in the pig pen and when asked, "Just what the hell are you doing with that pig" and thinking quickly...answered, "Just getting some fly tying material, Mom!"

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Rancid is an understatement...... I thought I was doing something novel when I had one of my farmer friends clip the Rams sack. I put it in a plastic bag and took it home (put it under my car seat but forgot it there for two days). On day TWO, I found a dead crow by the side the road. Those are very very hard to come by for those of you who hunt roadkill like I do. So I swooped and grabbed him with another baggie and stuffed him under the seat and that’s when I realized I left my other treasure there as well.

I think My nostrils are still burned on the inside from the filthy stench that came out of that bag.
“Time to go fishing”

redietz

Post by redietz »

tyeflies wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 pm
You may remember my fishing buddy Mike (NY Angler). Well we were fishing a particular hole on the Willow. Now he’s a lefty so we were able to fish right next to each other. We were both using March Brown wets. Everything was the same except I caught some trout and some followed my fly. He did not. We compared flies and the body of his looked like a wet cat. The body on my fly was tied with TUPS dubbing. It sparkled as if alive. That experience was unintentionally as close to a realistic test as could be arranged.
No, it wasn't a very good test. For one thing, I can tell you that sometimes which hand you cast with (I can cast with either) can make a significant different in results -- sometimes just switching hands is enough to start catching when I had previously been blanked. (It's a question of presentation.) The difference could have been in leader length/thickness, rod length, etc. Switching flies would have been a much better test, and even if he started catching and you stopped (which would have been a good indication that it was indeed the fly) there are still variables such as hook weight and density of the fly varying affecting where in the column the fly was presented.

None of the this says it wasn't the dubbing, but there are too many variables to conclude that it was.
Bob

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

bearbutt wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 am
St.Froid wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:33 am
my wife's cat, Orvis, is the rare barn cat that has made the transition from barn to house. She's a fierce defender of home and hearth and a week ago went charging into the cabinet under the kitchen sink and came back out with a Ermine.
You have ermine in your kitchen? I'm almost afraid to ask what you might have out in the barn? Fishers? Wolves? Martians?

bb
It's an old farmhouse, it has ...visitors. There was a small hole under the kitchen counter that apparently led out into the shed; it's been taken care of. No Martians but I did see a beautiful Fisher while I was out deer hunting.

tyeflies

Post by tyeflies »

redietz wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 am
tyeflies wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 pm
You may remember my fishing buddy Mike (NY Angler). Well we were fishing a particular hole on the Willow. Now he’s a lefty so we were able to fish right next to each other. We were both using March Brown wets. Everything was the same except I caught some trout and some followed my fly. He did not. We compared flies and the body of his looked like a wet cat. The body on my fly was tied with TUPS dubbing. It sparkled as if alive. That experience was unintentionally as close to a realistic test as could be arranged.
No, it wasn't a very good test. For one thing, I can tell you that sometimes which hand you cast with (I can cast with either) can make a significant different in results -- sometimes just switching hands is enough to start catching when I had previously been blanked. (It's a question of presentation.) The difference could have been in leader length/thickness, rod length, etc. Switching flies would have been a much better test, and even if he started catching and you stopped (which would have been a good indication that it was indeed the fly) there are still variables such as hook weight and density of the fly varying affecting where in the column the fly was presented.

None of the this says it wasn't the dubbing, but there are too many variables to conclude that it was.
Bob
I forgot to mention that I do not believe there is a test that is completely accurate. Mother Nature has a way of
faking us all out. So yes. This unplanned test was not without its faults.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

There’s a lot of merit to what redietz said:
Usually I fish two flies, and when I’m catching fish on one fly but not the other I will intentionally swap their positions on the leader to see if it makes any difference. More often than not it’s the fly ......but sometimes it is the position on the leader which affects the way it actually fishes in the water. I’ve confirmed this by putting two identical flies on the same cast-sometimes only the point or drop her will catch fish !

Sorry about the hijack .....
“Time to go fishing”

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

Bearbutt

Going back to the pic you posted on the original Tup's dubbing, I have that same pic and, I believe, posted it on the Classic Rod Forum as a refefence after finding the pic on the internet many years ago. It's a good reference in making a similar dubbing.

Quite a few years ago, a fellow in the UK (from a long line of fly tyers / fly fishers) sent me samples of his father's, grandfather's, great grandfather's supply of Tup's dubbing labelled "Circa 1910" and "Circa 1950" which I've used to mix my own Tup's dubbing using various materials to do a color match of the samples sent to me. Even had a couple (brave) fellows from the CRF send me samples of some real (cleaned) Tup's wool but keeping these for reference in the future.

Bob

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Bob,

Yes, we have the same image--but both are cropped a little different, which suggests they originated from the same source, but took different routes reaching us. The Austen photo has great color, it was clearly taken under natural sunlight (the shadow gives this away)--so like you say, this is a very compelling reference. I don't have the original source; my version came from a friend in London.

I think WiFlyFisher has a great Tups blend he made some time back--. I find matching the original texture a particular challenge--. I don't think anyone Stateside has historical UK samples like you do--those are special. If you come to the Badger Opener in Madison in February, we can compare those with the stuff WiFliFisher and Phil Anderson have--and take a picture of all of them together?

Happy Holidays,
bb