Getting ready…

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

Getting ready…

Post by Eperous » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm

… for the 2018 NYS trout season and its April 1st opening day.

Today I began my second season of fly tying, though I plan to trout fish through winter months ahead, the Good Lord willing. And since Catskill daytime air temps will soon be dropping into the lower 30s, with nighttime temps in the upper teens, I'm really glad that I caught a December trout last week, on a dry fly no less.

I have a rather anal approach to tying here, on the road we live in the eastern Catskills. First and foremost I inventory what flies remain from recent onstream battles this season past. Then I start tying streamers and bucktails first, thanks to Uncle Dickie’s well-written words on thread management, in so many of the fine books the late Richard Talleur produced.

So today was back to basics. I sat near a warm woodstove...

Gr-woodstove.JPG
Gr-woodstove.JPG (115.34 KiB) Viewed 471 times

... listening to soothing CD’s, tying small #8 (Mustad 9672) basic black, little Conehead Woolly Buggers, some two-and-a-half dozen to be precise, with a few cold-weather red-butts sprinkled in. Initially I sipped hot green tea, but by day's end I enjoyed a Harpoon Winter Warmer, bringing in this second season.

Gr-tying bench.JPG
Gr-tying bench.JPG (84.36 KiB) Viewed 471 times

If I could only carry a dozen different trout patterns with me on a stream, the black CHWB would make one of those twelve. Wild Esopus rainbows eat them, and that’s plenty good enough for me.

Gr-Esopus CHWB bow.JPG
Gr-Esopus CHWB bow.JPG (119.55 KiB) Viewed 471 times

Ed

wiFlyFisher

Re: Getting ready…

Post by wiFlyFisher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Ed, it looks warm and inviting. I always enjoy your posts about your Catskills fishing!

John
PS - we barely hit the 20 degree mark today. It might be heading in your direction.

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am

Nice post, Ed.

We have two -- possibly three -- inches of snow in Austin this morning. Bright sunshine, low thirties, and the area looks as if it has been bombed; schools closed, businesses delayed openings. Even Interstate 35, which usually resembles a parking lot at 8:00 was flowing freely. Amazing!!!

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

I just spoke to an Atlanta customer this morning and they have snow flakes in the air so they are heading home pronto!! :lol: :lol:

John

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 pm

wiFlyFisher wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm
I just spoke to an Atlanta customer this morning and they have snow flakes in the air so they are heading home pronto!! :lol: :lol:
Our oldest daughter used to teach middle school in a district located on the shores of Lake Ontario... their district planned TWO SNOW DAYS in their school calendar... if they closed every time it snowed, kids would be going to school year-round, plus some... during November we've had flakes here in the eastern Catskills already, and the peaks have been white, as seen from the shores of NYC's Ashokan Reservoir... that little bit of snow has disappeared, but its snowmelt did depress fishing in the Esopus, turning off trout in aqua color water, lowering streams temps and pH.... looks like we could get a couple/few inches Saturday, but we're ready as I buttoned up the homestead, investing today working outside :) , not tying any flies... :(

Ed

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Eperous wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 pm
wiFlyFisher wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm
Our oldest daughter used to teach middle school in a district located on the shores of Lake Ontario... their district planned TWO SNOW DAYS in their school calendar... if they closed every time it snowed, kids would be going to school year-round, plus some... during November we've had flakes here in the eastern Catskills already, and the peaks have been white, as seen from the shores of NYC's Ashokan Reservoir... that little bit of snow has disappeared, but its snowmelt did depress fishing in the Esopus, turning off trout in aqua color water, lowering streams temps and pH.... looks like we could get a couple/few inches Saturday, but we're ready as I buttoned up the homestead, investing today working outside :) , not tying any flies... :(

Ed
That sounds like Caribou as well. It really has to an apocalyptic snow event to cancel school up here. It's interesting to watch the news and see snow in the southwest and deep south. We're freaking out up here because we're 18" behind where we should be for snow totals at this point in the season. Weird year...