A winter topic...

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

A winter topic...

Post by Eperous » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:55 pm

So one of the SGM board members--- who will remain unidentified--- and myself got into a discussion about tying one's own flies or purchasing needed flies, or maybe even a combination of both.

So what are your thoughts about the benefits/costs, advantages/disadvantages, pro's/con's, etc. etc. etc. of tying versus purchasing required flies? :?: And by the way, the other individual is an accomplished angler, especially in salt water. ;)

Ed

ewpeper

Re: A winter topic...

Post by ewpeper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:18 pm

I think fly fishing without tying is an incomprehensible situation
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

cwfly

Post by cwfly » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

For me, it's a combination depending on where I am fishing. Around home I use flies that I tie. Not because I tie fantastic flies but because I enjoy
tying them. From a cost standpoint it is likely I loose money given the amount of material collected (purchased) over many decades.
If I travel I will bring flies and often, if only a courtesy to a shop owner, I will buy a few that stand out.
At the moment I am tearing my hair out over a different winter problem.
Tow or three years ago I tied some orange soft hackles. I know I did since I still have some in one of the boxes.
The silk was Pearsall's gossamer and I only had the one spool. I now have spent almost two weeks of daytime, and many hours
of nighttime trying to imagine where, on God's green earth, the spool has gone off to. Did the rodents from the attic
that might have not dined at Mr. Victor Trap's table get a hold of it? Did it get vacuumed up?
I'll keep looking - it's got to be around somewhere but it's driving me crazy!
So, it's back to tying so I can justify the expense of the boxes of fur, feathers, floss, silks, hooks, etc.

corlay

Post by corlay » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I've only bought one fly in my entire life:
an stimulator pattern from Catskill Flies.
I even caught a very nice brown on it that day...

but it's more fun to tie your own.
develop your own "style".
experiment.
share. trade.

shakey

Post by shakey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:10 pm

i generally tye my own,or use flies my wife tyes.

however,i do buy her flies that she uses as models. especially if i go to far away fly shops.

also,i do tye some bass poppers,but those cheap ones just make sense to buy rather than tye.

other than that,and collecting,i use my own.

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:27 pm

I could not fly fish without tying my own flies, but I could tie flies without fly fishing.

Matt ><)))))'>

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm

cwfly wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm
Did the rodents from the attic that might have not dined at Mr. Victor Trap's table get a hold of it?

Got a kick out of that line :)

I had a particular mouse in the house last year that was driving me crazy when trying to evict him using live-trap methods. Then he left rodent droppings in my cast iron pan, and I called in the classic Victor trap to settle the score. Game over.

I use almost exclusively, flies that I've tyed myself. The exceptions would be the occasional fly that I get from a friend, or when I'm visiting a fly shop while on a fishing vacation, especially if the pattern is an obscure one that I want to tye myself and need a good original to use as a model. Brindle Chutes from Chuck Stranahan's fly shop in Hamilton, MT fit that last category. It really helped that Mr. Stranahan was one heck of a nice guy who showed me how to tye his pattern when I showed interest.

I started out using store-bought for the first three years that I fly fished, but became frustrated by empty bins of wanted patterns in the useful sizes. That's when it became clear that I'd have to become self-sufficient when it came to flies.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Barleywine wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm
or when I'm visiting a fly shop while on a fishing vacation, especially if the pattern is an obscure one that I want to tye myself and need a good original to use as a model. Brindle Chutes from Chuck Stranahan's fly shop in Hamilton, MT fit that last category. It really helped that Mr. Stranahan was one heck of a nice guy who showed me how to tye his pattern when I showed interest.
Yeah, Chuck's a good one--I once spent a pair of weeks on the Bitterroot, and found some really nice patterns in his boxes, including woven stoneflies--and those are not easy to tie. I'll buy flies from guys sitting down and tying them themselves, especially if it means learning something new--which is almost always the case. I spent hours over the years watching Fran Betters tied, and nobody tied a Betters fly better than Betters did--his were sloppier (in a good way) than his hired hands tied.

Charlie, that spool of Pearsall's is somewhere--just stop looking for it. It will find itself.

bb

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Matt Grobert wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:27 pm
I could not fly fish without tying my own flies, but I could tie flies without fly fishing.

Matt ><)))))'>
nice quote Matt.

I will purchase a few flies if I feel obligated to. Is it cost effective to buy to tie. To a beginner just tying ONE type of fly. yes .

If you start experimenting ..no...I have 50 plus years invested in all kinds of stuff that to become cost efficient that would mean that I'd have to sell everything I own at a profit. And we know that will never happen

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 pm

I bought dozens upon dozens of flies in my misspent youth.

Nowadays, in my dotage, I only fish flies that I tie -- unless they are from the vise of a close friend.

Using my own flies forces me to be a better observer and fisherman... if the fish won't take it, then I will tie something that they will. Or I will go home fishless.

I am only a middling tyer but I enjoy it. I do my best to honor the masters, and I also keep an eye on making minor tweaks that I think will bring more fish to the net.

Honestly, I could probably get by with two or three nymph patterns that I tie, two or three dries and a few streamers for a whole season.

Hope that makes sense,

Rob J.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying