Wings for wet flies

Anything fly tying...
John Dunn

Wings for wet flies

Post by John Dunn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:08 pm

I had another post on seal fur and received answers,so I thought I would ask about wings. I'M OK as far as mounting them (fair)It"s what to use that has me befudled,on my Hairs Ear,I'm using grouse tail and it look sort of Ok but not as good as what I see you guys tie. If I use turkey I think it would be to thick ? for the lead wing I use gray Mallard or white duck just not sure which to use for the molted brown. I hope this is not a stupid question,anyhow thanks for the replies .

Thanks
John
Presentation Presentation

ted patlen

Re: Wings for wet flies

Post by ted patlen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:10 pm

find some turkey wing quills...great for all standard trout flies

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:13 am

I am not real clear on what your asking? When you say the turkey is too thick...

Some materials are better suited to some flies simply because of the fiber size. Like Ted mentioned, secondary turkey quills, goose and swan are nice for trout sized flies, as are duck primary quills which most winged classic wet flies are tyed with.

I would not use primary turkey or swan quills for small wet flies as the barbs are too large in proportion to the hook. Even the tips of these feathers are "heavy" for anything #12 and under.

Many tiny wet flies [and drys for that matter] are tyed with starling quills as they are very fine in fiber and bind without too much bulk. In other words, they squish down easy with minimum thread tension.

Hope this helps...and thanks for choosing S.G.M. for your tying questions :D CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:11 am

Swan's pretty fragile.....beautiful to look at (presentation flies).....but it rips up easily. Course a torn up fly is just another opprotunity to tye another one. :D

John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:24 am

(I would not use primary turkey or swan quills for small wet flies)
Again thanks for the reply"s fellas I think I was indeed using a primary feather,that's why the fiber was to thick and bulky. I'll try the secondary feathers see how that works out,I will have to order some turkey .

Thanks again
John
Presentation Presentation

Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:11 pm

I've also used Pheasant and grouse primaries and secondaries. Depending of course what size fly you are tying. Duck is the best