Simplifying thread....

Anything fly tying...
Laminarman

Simplifying thread....

Post by Laminarman »

I have bought every fly for the past 20 years due to time limitations. Dug out all my stuff this winter and now I'm tying bonefish flies for my first trip, and having a heck of a time and have to order some thread. I googled it, man, what a mess. Is there one brand I can stick with and use across all fly types and learn their sizing? Such as Wapsi? Four sizes, one thread type, easy. I like easy. Problem is, I have so many spools now and I can't really tell what is what since none have labels. I guess I'm not good enough to "just know" and I never gave thread a thought other than color. I always ignored thread recommendations on patterns except for color and ability to do the job and life was easy. Now I'm thinking about it, dang it. Or, am I the only one to be confused by this?? I guess as I get older I get more analytical.

Algyros

Re: Simplifying thread....

Post by Algyros »

I went through the same Odyssey as you until I discovered Veevus thread. Now, my life is somewhat simpler.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

I too have countless spools of thread, and Silk. My favorite is Roman Moser power silk- Are used to find stuff on everything from Tricos to Salmon, Striper & Albie flies.
However, I still use my old Silk for some trout and salmon patterns.
“Time to go fishing”

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman »

That Veevus looks interesting. Seems like I could most of what I'll likely need with one brand and wide selection. What would you recommend and I'll order some? I tie trout flies from 22 to 4, (dries, nymphs, streamers), some Western trout flies, and bonefish flies (which is very new to me). I don't do large salt water flies, I do very little deer hair. And any recommendations where to order Veevus from? Thank you.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

I don’t know much about Veevus threads-I have a dozen or so spools, but it’s just about the same as all the other brands. 95% of the thread I buy is white, and I color it up with the felt tip markers to suit the pattern. For my money the Roman Moser power silk is unbeatable.....It is superstrong, doesn’t break, and doesn’t fray like other threads do. I buy RM 10/0 white, And use it for just about everything.
It’s a lot simpler that way ........ just my two cents !!
“Time to go fishing”

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Another opinion: Although I'm sure that Veevus is an excellent thread, I believe you will also want to have something larger on hand if you tie flies down to Size 4.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

I used for several years a lot of Veevus thread in 16/0 for my wets and dries and love it. For larger flies like streamers, woolly buggers, etc. I use Uni-Thread 6/0. By the way, all the Veevus and Uni-Thread spools have a label telling you what the thread is.

John

redietz

Post by redietz »

wiFlyFisher wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:47 am
By the way, all the Veevus and Uni-Thread spools have a label telling you what the thread is.
Until they fall off, at least.
Bob

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

I use Veevus 14/0 for all my flies, from BIG streamers to size 12 salmon flies to spun deer hair bombers.. If you're just starting out again, you might try the 10/0 just to get used to tying again.
Gary

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

In the beginning there was Danville then along came Uni, which I used for years. Then I attended a class on thread control and after getting info on the different threads I settled on Danville and Gudebrod. The main reason is that both of those threads can be untwisted and thus will lay flt in the hook and is easier to split for split thread dubbing. Uni is a bonded thread and won't lay flat nor can you split it.
Gudebrod is no longer made so I'm always on the search along with other STUFF.

The last few nights I have been tying with Veevus and I find that it frays easily, without even nicking the point. :D