Wholesale prices

Anything fly tying...
Jay Wirth

Wholesale prices

Post by Jay Wirth »

What is the typical wholesale cost for fly shops (particularly in Catskills) to pay for dry flies, nymphs, & streamers
“Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.”

Arlo Guthrie

narcodog

Re: Wholesale prices

Post by narcodog »

It depends anywhere from $10.00 to $16.00 a doz for standard drys and nymphs, streams depends on size and complexities.

I need to add an addendum, I was thinking of local tyers, The shop I worked at ordered from several wholesale and I think that the rates were about $7.00 a doz.
Last edited by narcodog on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

While not the Catskills, I just paid $2.50 to $3 a dry fly down near Shenandoah National Park in VA... 9 dries cost me $25... I wanted them as models to tie my own dries from, plus also as collectibles...

Ed

Obviously I misinterpreted your question, responding too quickly as I'm in "catch-up" mode, gone for a week... :roll: :oops: and gave you RETAIL prices... sorry bout that... :?
Last edited by Eperous on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

I double-checked with a shop owner out west, and he pointed out there's a huge range in wholesale prices, depending on source. Local tyers generally demand more than wholesale suppliers with cheap labor overseas. There's often a quality difference between the two, but quality of some "cheap" imports has been steadily improving.

Jay Wirth

Post by Jay Wirth »

I think Eds prices are retail and what I see at most shops. BrownBear - I have heard similar from different shop owners getting flies from overseas and in my opinion the quality is poor. We all know that there are some fishermen that are happy with flies that last 1 outing and are inexpensive. I usually charge $12 doz wholsale but had a long conversation with a shop owner in Hancock, NY saying he never pays more than $7 doz. Comparing my flies to his current stock my quality was drastically better (which he agreed and wanted to sell) but the shop owner was happy to stock the cheaper flies.
“Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.”

Arlo Guthrie

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Jay Wirth wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 am
I usually charge $12 doz wholsale but had a long conversation with a shop owner in Hancock, NY saying he never pays more than $7 doz. Comparing my flies to his current stock my quality was drastically better (which he agreed and wanted to sell) but the shop owner was happy to stock the cheaper flies.
There you have it. But the shop owner (also a close, frank friend and fishing partner) points out that Umpqua has done their best to upend that apple cart. Here is the Umpqua background. I've lost the name at the moment, but he cited one other large overseas source he uses and reports that quality control and quality are excellent. They even turn out custom flies in pretty short order.

My bud develops hives (almost literally!) when the discussion turns to local tyers. Sooner or later all he's used have turned unreliable, causing him sincere grief with late deliveries or worse yet no deliveries at all. When seasons are short, shops can't sell flies they don't have, and it doesn't do any good for them to show up a month or two late.... On orders placed as much as a year ahead.

With Umpqua (and his other source), deliveries are never late and business contacts are always professional with none of the usual local excuses.

I'm his emergency tyer of last resort, tying a few dozen for him overnight when he's desperate. He has to be really desperate though, because my rates start at $24/dozen and go up rapidly depending on the pattern. But he's happy to get them when the bins of the most popular patterns of the moment are vacant.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Jay Wirth wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 am
BrownBear - I have heard similar from different shop owners getting flies from overseas and in my opinion the quality is poor.
As is usually the case with everything in life, you pretty much get what you pay for. Fulling Mill, who supplies flies to Orvis and other well known sellers, has most (if not all) of their flies tied overseas, and the quality is excellent. But the prices are not particularly low either, as quality hooks and quality materials aren't cheap even when you buy in quantity.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

tie2fish wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am
...Fulling Mill....
That's the one. My bud reports that they're particularly good about custom ties. All he has to do is send them 2 samples when he's placing his annual order, and they come through with the next shipment. Best of all from his eyes, he reports that they don't "share" the custom patterns with other clients.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

So this topic really it’s home with me. In my opinion flies are the most under priced item in the fishermans arsenal.
Properly tied flies are usable art, and should last at least a dozen fish during the season. I do not tie commercially anymore-I have eight or 10 guys that I tie custom patterns for and I charge $58 per dozen, As the starting price. And that’s what it should be. If you want Ray Bergman hooks Darbee hackle and condor quill, price can be $80-$90 per dozen.
And that,in my humble opinion, is how it should be.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

I agree with everything others are saying here. If you are selling "me-to" products including flies you have a hard time making customers pay more because they have a lot of other options, even if your flies seem better quality.

I believe people who never tie flies do not understand the time and cost of materials involved in hand-tied tying flies.

For example... the Wooly Buggers I recently tied for my NW WI TU chapter I tied them like I would for myself. I pay $0.50 per tungsten cone head from CompetitiveAngler.com but they are worth it to me. They are bigger and heavier with more tungsten than any other shops. Plus, I insert a tungsten bead inside the tungsten cone head to add more weight and then use Loon UV Thick Finish with my Loon UV Light to make sure the head is totally secured. I also use Nature's Spirit premium marabou and some special pearl chenille colors. I take no short cuts. So I sent a letter with my woolly buggers to TU explaining all the steps with photos in hopes those who bid on my woolly buggers will want to bid higher. Without this additional information my flies would look like the average woolly buggers.

Here is an example of some of the woolly buggers i tied...

Will they sell for more during the TU auction? Time will tell, But... without the story and photos I sent to them the guys bidding on my WBs probably would not know the difference.

Theroe mentioned he has 8-10 guys that he sells his custom tied flies too and are willing to pay more for them. If they are made in some other country and sold to all the fly shops across the USA you have no competitive advantage and no marketing sizzle to promote why pay more. BRF does a good job in their emails trying to sell their so called unique fly aptterns that CATCH MORE TROUT. LOL!!

It is like Whiting hackle every shop is selling the same thing and at same price. Hooks and thread (except now Pearsall Gossamer Silk thread) are both examples of everyone selling the same commodity item.

So if Jay Wirth cannot create a demand for his specially hand-tied flies the fly shop says I will buy the $7.00/dozen which I know I can sell and have delivered on time to my shop.

Also, if the shop makes a $1.00 per fly they have to sell a hell of a lot of flies to help pay their monthly overhead.

My marketing $0.02,

John