Silk Questions

Anything fly tying...
Castaline

Silk Questions

Post by Castaline »

Not to familiar with silk but recently acquired this old package of what I assume is silk? Nice colors and I tried the long thin wide spools on bodies of soft hackles but it was fraying as I wrapped it and got a little fuzzy. Also it did not "unwind into strands" as I have heard mentioned in discussions of silk.

Is it indeed some old silk and any tips on preventing this fraying as I wrap?
PC130029.JPG
PC130029.JPG (113.82 KiB) Viewed 738 times
The attachment PC130029.JPG is no longer available

narcodog

Re: Silk Questions

Post by narcodog »

I have some of that same silk and use it occasionally.To help keep it from fraying I drag a section through my wax, then draw it between my fingers to get the fiber aligned. Now if you have ruff hands you should wear cotton gloves. It is really nice stuff to use once you get the hang of it. Or you could send it to me.

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo »

Waxing it would be a good idea...also, to check if it is silk, light the edge with a match. If it burns, it's silk or another natural fiber. If it melts into a little black ball, it's synthetic.

redietz

Post by redietz »

joaniebo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:59 pm
Waxing it would be a good idea...also, to check if it is silk, light the edge with a match. If it burns, it's silk or another natural fiber. If it melts into a little black ball, it's synthetic.
I was going to suggest that, but it doesn't distinguish between silk and cotton.
Bob

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

joaniebo wrote:
Waxing it would be a good idea...
On the note of waxing silk and thread, I'll toss in a handy tip. Years ago I "borrowed" one of these from my wife's sewing kit for my leatherworking ventures. Still use them 40+ years later for waxing linen thread and other leather chores. Not long after trying it for leather sewing, it migrated to the fly bench and found a steady presence there.

Best and handiest $3.49 I've ever spent, though I still have one in the package from those days. Priced 49 cents.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

BrownBear wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:46 am
joaniebo wrote:
On the note of waxing silk and thread, I'll toss in a handy tip. Years ago I "borrowed" one of these from my wife's sewing kit for my leatherworking ventures. Still use them 40+ years later for waxing linen thread and other leather chores. Not long after trying it for leather sewing, it migrated to the fly bench and found a steady presence there.

Best and handiest $3.49 I've ever spent, though I still have one in the package from those days. Priced 49 cents.
Very nice find!!

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Thanks. I like them for a coupla reasons. The wax is just the right "tack" for room temperature use. That means it's fairly soft, and hence the second reason I like them. With the wax contained in the little plastic holder yet accessible for thread, it doesn't pick up all the detritus usual for a lump of bare soft wax bouncing around your fly tying bench.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

it also may be dried out , try removing the first few feet of silk to see if it gets better. you can try saliva as well.

tie with white thread...black will severely darken silk...experiment with black under yellow and white under yellow. just tie two bodies and put them into water...

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

BrownBear wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:46 am
joaniebo wrote:

Wow, nice idea; I never would have thought of that. My wife has a couple of those in her sewing room! ...one is about disappear.