Shadow box flies

Anything fly tying...
ted patlen

Re: Shadow box flies

Post by ted patlen »

I haven't responded to this thread but should. I have been framing flies and other fishing paraphernalia for over 30 years, and I always think back to what my college graphic arts professor told my black and white photography class way back in 1969. To paraphrase, "...and remember when mounting your photos that you want the viewer to look at the image, not the mats "

The sole reason to put something on the wall, that will most probably hang there for decades is to look at the image(s). How the rest of the unit looks is personal but should be well constructed and shouldn't keep the viewers eyes away from what is being showcased.

Clean, clutter free ensembles tell a story.

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

Sadly, so many framers don't get what Ted just wrote. To them, it's all about showcasing their matting/framing powers. The matting/framing should literally draw you into the object(s) on display, focus your attention on it/them. Good stuff, Ted.
Gary

corlay

Post by corlay »

Made one about ten years ago to showcase some of my Grandfather's ties.
Surrounding the cut-out insets for the flies, is a faded sepia-toned image of my Grandfather swinging wets on the Cateaugay River - his favorite place to fish. Sorry pic image quality is so poor.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

corlay wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:11 pm
Made one about ten years ago to showcase some of my Grandfather's ties.
Surrounding the cut-out insets for the flies, is a faded sepia-toned image of my Grandfather swinging wets on the Cateaugay River - his favorite place to fish. Sorry pic image quality is so poor.

Corlay
That is a fantastic shadow box you have - I would really like to see closeups of each fly, with a bit of history!!

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 »

Simply stunning Corlay, love the picture of your grandfather!
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

this , is a beautiful way to remember...